Friday, September 29, 2017

Can Turkeys Fly?

Have you ever wondered if turkeys could fly? Many people think they can't. I remember years ago on a comedy TV show called "WKRP In Cincinnati" the radio station on the show did a promotion where they dropped turkeys from a helicopter. The turkeys inevitably thudded to the ground. It was a huge disaster. The last line on the show was the station manager saying, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." So, is that the verdict? Is it settled then?

No. The turkeys in my top picture seem to be flying just fine. But wait! They don't seem to be very high off the ground, do they?

That was going to be my proof. I guess I'll have to go even further. Let's go to the next picture then.

This turkey above is flying just fine, isn't it? Maybe. It doesn't seem to be very high off the ground, does it? Maybe it's just hopping. Sometimes pictures can be deceptive. So maybe that's not proof then. Let's move to the next picture and see if I can finally show you flying turkeys.

You looked ahead, didn't you? I knew you would. So you already saw this picture above of these two turkeys in mid-flight. They are indeed flying. I'm not sure there can be any mistake about it now.

But they don't seem very high. Maybe they can only fly a little bit. And the first one doesn't look very graceful, does it? That second one looks like a regular old bird though. It's flying just fine. But maybe we can do a little better here. Let's move to the next picture.

Now this turkey here is up there pretty far. And you can see that it is indeed a turkey. Turkeys aren't the best flyers, but they can indeed fly. They like to sleep in the tops of trees around here. They have to get up there somehow, and they don't climb. Now you can call all your friends right away to inform them that turkeys can fly. Go on. Do it right now. I'll wait.

You're back from your call? Let me quickly tell you how I got these pictures. I stopped on this dirt road because I saw one lone turkey wander into the ditch at the side. I wandered over there to get a couple of pictures when all hell broke loose!

It wasn't just one turkey. It was an entire flock. As soon as I got near, turkeys kind of erupted everywhere. The flock went flying in every direction. I would have gotten video, but I was too surprised to do much of anything except get these pictures I have here. I hope you like them.

So that's my story. Turkeys can fly. And I am a close-up witness to this ability. This was another everyday adventure that I will never forget. This was a good one. I've wandered into some doozies in the past. I wish I could have described it a little better, but this will have to do. I'll talk to you later.

9 comments:

  1. But you'll never hear the expression, soaring with the turkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. That tv episode was hilarious!

    I eould love to see wild turkeys lke those, Ratty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They stay close to be camoflagued but often roost in trees at night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew they could. I've seen them roost in trees too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to see all these flying turkeys! Maybe not so much fun for the turkeys - they probably thought you were an intruder.

    I think wild turkeys are fliers - the ones you find at farms, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I read your post title the first thing I thought of was that WKRP in Cincinnati show

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me asking myself many questions.

    Can we run?
    Can we think?
    Can we behave?
    Can we .....?

    You question is then not a question.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I consider myself enlightened! Never seen them fly so I guess I assumed they couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice spotting. I've never seen them in trees, but they sometimes roost on our son's roof (to his dismay) so I knew they could fly. But I think wild turkeys are way smarter than the domesticated ones that what's his name at WKRP dropped out of that plane (I do still remember that show -- back when network TV was actually good)....

    ReplyDelete