Saturday, March 21, 2009

Squirrel Gone Nuts

I'm Free!!! I don't usually like to stretch my Fiction Friday over to Saturday, but I had a lot of visitors yesterday that might want to know just exactly how I escaped the clutches of Mr. Nutz the angry squirrel overlord. Strangely, today's story is based on a real event that happened yesterday when I met this squirrel you see in the photos. Here we go!

The last time you heard from me, I was trapped by Mr. Nutz in the comments section of my blog, and Mr. Nutz had taken over. Now I'm am completely free, and Mr. Nutz is gone. It turned out to be a simple thing to get free of him.

While I was looking around in the mist, I kept seeing a light in the distance. I mentioned yesterday that I was afraid to go into the light. I guess I've watched too many bad movies, because the light turned out to be the exit! When I finally worked up the courage to look through it, I saw the outside of a tree, and Mr. Nutz was standing guard outside.

I remembered a tip about how much squirrels liked acorns. So I checked my pockets, and sure enough, I had one acorn left! I know it sounds too convenient, but I did have the acorn. I thought about using it to negotiate with him, but I decided that I wasn't going to negotiate with a squirrel, because they're all nuts!

So I decided to distract him instead. Knowing that a squirrel can't resist acorns, I threw the acorn over to Mr. Nutz. He quickly picked it up and put it in his mouth. Stupid squirrel! He started gnawing on that acorn like it was his favorite food. I guess it was.

While I was watching this happen, I knew that I was going to win. Squirrels may have bad tempers. And they may get angry at anyone or anything invading their territory, but they are all very easily distracted. Mr. Nutz quickly forgot I was even there.

He was enjoying that acorn so much that he completely forgot about the war. The acorn was everything to him now. He looked around suspiciously afraid that someone would try to take away his new prize. His acorn. His prize. His precioussss.

Finally, he decided he had to hide his acorn. So he turned around, and ran right up the side of the biggest tree that he could find. He climbed up onto a nice high branch so he could hoard his acorn in peace. He didn't care about anything else anymore. The acorn was safe, and it was his.

Of course, I took that opportunity to escape all the way from the tree. I didn't have to hurry. I was even able to stop and watch him up on that branch. I might as well have been invisible. He didn't care about me anymore, so I walked away and came back home.

After all of that, maybe you're all wondering if I learned my lesson to not start a war with angry squirrels.

Not one bit.


Related Posts

11 comments:

  1. Mr. Nutz, how come you only manage one day only? Nuts really gets you huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a simple solution! Perhaps this is because Mr.Nutz's brain (and all squirrel brains) are less than the size of an acorn!
    Now........about that pink helmet.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. All this rodent infighting has to stop. It's nuts you can't get along especially since a bigger threat is on the way. The Pod People will soon be emerging from their long winter sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! You are rescued. Now we know why those squirrels are so sneaky... they don't want Homeland Security to find all those bazookas and light sabers and most important, acorns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are "an Acre Wiser" to learn from WiseAcre. Mr. Nutz has a nut size of brain that held you for only a day. Anyhow, welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy you made it out of the mist. I'm afraid we all got a little sidetracked. It was like old home week with the Fairy Tale characters. Some of them hadn't seen each other in so long, you know. To make a long story short, it was a party atmosphere and party we did. King Gary Goose and his bunch were acting like a bunch of silly... well geese. I think they are dancing by the water in the park. The Queen of Hearts showed up and let's just say it wasn't pretty. Tearra's bodyguard got protective and wouldn't let her perform. He even threw Peg out! The Skipper is still laughing. As for Jack, I think he got lost. I did find the most marvelous beanstalk by his house though. Alice is still hiding from the Queen. Not sure when she will be brave enough to come out. And if Mother Goose ever makes the time, she will write that new nursery rhyme. Or maybe not. Glad you made it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kruel - Squirrels are quick to anger, and quicker to forget. And he really liked that acorn.
    -

    The Retired One - Maybe that's why they like acorns so much. They're all nut-brained. I'm afraid he took his helmet with him, and I'm not about to climb up that tree after him.
    -

    WiseAcre - I've been monitoring the Pod People very closely. They're getting ready to simultaneously run over all of the skunks in the area. It will be one of the stinkiest situations ever.
    -

    Sharkbytes - That's why I've always suspected that they're larger cousins, the Star Wars Ewoks, were evil.
    -

    Rainfield - Mr. Nutz may be gone, but the war may not be over. I still have to get a black squirrel.
    -

    Mother Goose - I'm glad the fairy tale characters didn't show up. The dark jedi squirrels had an evil ambush planned for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh love the pictures of the squirrel going nuts. They are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betchai - I actually got those pictures on the same day as my Squirrel Strikes Back post. I almost couldn't believe that I was seeing a squirrel so close to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm pleased to see you escaped Ratty. Shame Mr Nutz hasn't got a blog now, he did a surprisingly good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. John - I don't think Mr. Nutz will ever be getting a blog. Squirrels can't pay attention long enough to do more than one post.

    ReplyDelete