Friday, January 16, 2009

Winter In Sumac Park

Today I'm going to wrap up my visit of Sumac Pointe with a few more scenes of winter in the park. These are a few places in this small park that I wouldn't normally show, but that's why I will do it now. This will end my visit this place for a little while.

I never showed the kids play area when it was warm, but here it is now. Most of these places have a section like this, but I don't think anyone would want to use it right now. Would you? I know I wouldn't.

It is an interesting look into what the cold winter weather can do to normal outdoor activities. In the summer this play area would be crowded with children, but now, of course, there are none. The different seasons make it necessary to change most things about your outdoor activity.

What you see here is where the lake drains into the river. Newburgh Lake is named after Newburgh Road, that you can see passing over in the background. Most of the time the level of the lake isn't quite so high.

There are quite a few busy roads passing through this area. This whole park system cuts right through the middle of a largely populated area. This frozen lake was actually made artificially. There is a dam to the west that is at the source of the lake. I haven't ever seen it yet, but I'll try to get pictures when it's a little warmer outside.

It took me a while, but I finally found a place where the water wasn't frozen. This little patch of water is from something flowing down from the right. Flowing water takes much longer to freeze. I don't know where the water is coming from, but hopefully it's something clean.

On the left of this patch of water is something sticking up from the snow and ice. It's unrecognizable right now, but I know what it is. It's actually the top of a picnic table. The rest of it is frozen under the ice. Thee are a lot of these in the water for some reason. I don't know why they're there, or how they got there.

I guess this was kind of a short one today. Temperatures are the lowest of the year, and it's not good to be out. Even if it doesn't get warmer this weekend, I'll figure out a way to find something new. I said before that I'll take pictures from my truck if I have to. I'll find some sort of adventure, but I'm not sure what it will be yet. I hope it's something good...


Related Posts

5 comments:

  1. Feeling so gloomy from your pictures......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I couldn't find your e-mail address at your site to let you know: you have been forwarded an award!
    Please go to my website: http://www.myretirementchronicles.blogspot.com to accept it and pass it on to some other awesome bloggers.
    Congratulations! LOL

    The Retired One

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon, Ratty. Interesting. If it were one picnic table I would think vandalism. Several tables makes me wonder if the park decided to sink some old tables to create fish habitat along the banks. I wouldn't think they would do this with treated/ varnished/ whatever... wood, but who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the first picture, i admire your resourcefulness to find ways for an adventure despite of the situation

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rainfield - It's even more gloomy to be here. I like snow and winter, but that is what it does to people, even me. A lot of people have a hard time getting through the winter because of that.
    -

    The Retired One - Thanks, I'm honored! I like awards. I'll check it out.
    -

    Sharkbytes - I think they just don't maintain things very well at the park. I think visitors moved the tables close to the waters edge when the water level was down, and nobody ever moved them back.
    -

    Betchai - I think that first one was my favorite too. I'll have to find new things like this for the rest of the winter. It will be an adventure just finding these new things.

    ReplyDelete