Monday, July 29, 2013

Gavins Point Dam

I went to Gavins Point Dam the other day. The dam is huge. There is a road going across the top of it that I made sure I took. I wanted to get pictures from both sides of the Missouri River. There is a huge park and campgrounds around the dam. The whole place is beautiful.

Actually the whole area around there is pretty beautiful. There are hills and trees everywhere, and the  Missouri River is huge at the dam. I always thought of South Dakota as flat, but this area is anything but flat.

If you click on the picture above, you can see the cars driving across the dam. I took the picture from a hill overlooking the dam. There is a welcome center up there that I walked through. This area is another place that Lewis and Clark went through. I don't think the welcome center was there yet though.

Here's a little better picture of a car going across the top of the dam. It's a pretty good view from up there. The only problem is that you have to watch the road. Just think of the amount of water that the huge dam is holding back.

Here's a good picture of the whole dam. The part on the left is the hydroelectric powerplant. The part I've been focusing on in most of the post is called the spillway. The grassy part on the far right is the actual dam. I don't really show that becauase it's not really very exciting.

I'm still trying to learn what to say in my new kinds of posts. Always before my subject was nature. But now I'll be mixing in stuff like this dam and museums, and other things like that. I can describe nature a little bit, but this is all new to me.

I'm going to do a few more posts about the area around the dam. I have so many pictures that it would be a shame if nobody but me ever got to see them.With my new camera I only got one dud in over 300 pictures. I've never had that much success before. Anyway, I'll talk to you later.

10 comments:

  1. We watched the output on that dam to see if the flooding was going to stop here a few years back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been interesting to watch. I heard the flooding wasn't too good though.

      Delete
  2. These are some gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you are expanding your travels and posts. I like to see things like the dam....it's very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too. But I have to learn what to write about all this new stuff.

      Delete
  4. it's easier for me too to come up with words about nature than structures, it's a challenge, but it's a joy too trying to work with the challenges in our lives. those are beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I'll get used to writing about these new things, I hope soon. It really is so much easier to write about animals.

      Delete
  5. That's one heck of a dam. Do they make electricity there or is the dam for flood control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make electricity and do flood control. That part on the left in the last picture is where they make the electricity.

      Delete