Saturday, February 28, 2009

No More Snow?

The weather has been very warm here for the last few days, but it's been raining for much of that time. This rain is actually a positive thing right now though. With the warm temperature and the rain, the snow has been melting away.

The rain was due to stop today, so I made a plan to go out to one of the hiking trails and see if there were any changes. I picked my newest one, Carpenter, to walk through today. I've already seen the others without snow, so I was hoping the snow was melting here.

As soon as I got there, I was greeted with a wonderful sight. Most of the snow was gone! There were still some patches of white snow in some places, but it was mostly gone. This was the first time I was able to see what the trail looked like.

I found out recently that this park is only about two years old, so I've been expecting something good. The trails seem to be made of gravel so there are no muddy puddles to have to worry about. The water was running off the trails really well, so it looked like today was going to be great.

As I moved around the bend in the trail, I noticed that there was still some ice on the trail up ahead. That was no problem. I knew I could deal with a few icy patches with relative ease. It looked like there was a little more snow up ahead than I wanted there to be though. I hoped this wasn't going to be a problem.

As I got into the trees, I realized that the white I was seeing was not snow. The trail in here was a solid sheet of slippery wet ice. This was going to make things difficult. There was ice on the trail, and water on the sides. I came this far though, so I was going to try to keep going.

As soon as I took my first few steps on this ice, I knew I had to be careful. Even if I took things very slowly, I was going to have a lot of trouble walking through this. I didn't bring my ice cleats because I didn't expect this. I was beginning to regret this trip.

As I walked along very carefully, I still almost fell several times. I was trying to walk on the snow that was on the sides of the trail, but there wasn't much room between the ice and the pooled water. I was now thinking that maybe I should turn around and go back home, but then something changed.

As soon as I made it to the first fork in the path, I discovered that the trail up ahead had no ice on it. I was through the icy part of the trail, and it looked like it was going to be easy going the rest of the way. After that icy trail was behind me, I was ready to begin my journey to see the sights.

This park was now naked of all of the snow from before. What would I find up ahead? There are signs throughout the park that promise wild animals. On my previous trips there have been absolutely no signs of life. Would this change with the warmer weather, and lack of snow? I still had not gone very far. Would I continue to ask so many questions throughout my journey today?

Find the answer to these exciting questions and many more as my thrilling adventure continues! I'll see you here tomorrow with some questions answered and some mysteries solved!


Related Posts

9 comments:

  1. Wow!! Getting to see more from your pictures once the snow has disappeared. Look like I can expect a lot more from you. Wild animals? Wild trees? Wild ...??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the snow I got last night missed you. Sacrificing that snowman yesterday backfired on me. Not only did it snow the temps dropped below zero F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful sight even without snow. Looks a little cold and dreary but still beautiful. Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you! No snow already???? I think the U.P. of Michigan got another 12 inches yesterday. I am going to dread heading back north next week!!1

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, such different when the trail has no more snow, but just like what jodapoet said, still looks cold, but beautiful. i think you have snow there today? heard it from the news.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rainfield - Wild is the right word! I have something very exciting from that journey coming up.
    -

    WiseAcre - I saw about four snowflakes, otherwise it's been clear skies here. You must have angered the great snowman in the sky when you murdered that snowman.:)
    -

    Jodapoet - It was one of the dreariest days that I've been out in, but it was only a little chilly out. It turned out to be a great day even so.
    -

    The Retired One - Our weather for the last few days is more typical of what winter is usually like around here. Everyone around us is complaining about snow again.
    -

    Betchai - I'm happy to report that the snow missed us completely, and our weather will be sunny for the foreseeable future. To add what I told Jodapoet, it started out a little chilly. Our temperature has dropped from around 45 Fahrenheit to around 27. It's colder, but not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like they did a nice job with the trails in this park. I'm looking forward to what you saw.

    My verification word is "Nesse." I guess I saw the Loch Ness monster.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharkbytes - The whole park seems to be very well done, and they're not finished yet. I'm glad they thought to do this park where it is.

    As for what I saw. It's not exactly what I saw that was interesting. It was what happened when I saw them. I still have a few days before I'm going to tell the story, because I want to do this in chronological order if I can. It was a short hike, but an interesting one.

    I keep watching those words myself lately. I'm hoping to see the Loch Ness monster in the little lake at this park. I guess I'll have to settle for Alice's dragons though.:)

    ReplyDelete