Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Carpenter Lake Dam

I finally did it! I finally brought you the post I've been promising you over the last few days. Yesterday in my Danger Signs post, I showed you these white and orange posts in the ice. Someone had ignored the danger and walked across. I hid from you what the danger was here.

Today I'm revealing it to you! It's the Carpenter Lake Dam. I have to admit that I don't know how dangerous it would be to be out there, but just for that reason I wouldn't risk it. I don't know what kind of pull the dam would create, if any. So in this case I would respect the signs.

With that, I'll say that I've been looking for a dam for awhile now. I thought I might find one at Newburgh Lake, but it didn't turn out that way so far. When I saw the sign outside this place, I didn't think I would find much. I was very wrong!

This dam was created in 1996. So that gives us a clue as to the age of this nature preserve. The lake and the dam are here to slow the river further down stream, and to beautify the area. This was another very pleasant surprise of Carpenter Lake Nature Preserve.

I started out on a viewing platform just to the side of the dam. From there you can see a great view of the river. I'll show you some of those things in a few days, after I tell you the story of how Alice and I got these pictures of this dam.

When we got to the platform, we saw a huge wrought iron fence around the dam. We thought that was the end of our journey. I was very disappointed because I really wanted to see the outlet side of the dam.

As I began to look around, I noticed a path next to the fence, and came up with an idea. I told Alice to stay at the platform while I followed the path. I then realized that she didn't want to miss out on any of our adventure, so I unwisely told her she could come along.

We had to walk over a small hill to get to the other side of the dam. As we got to the top, I realized that to get to the best view would be kind of perilous for both of us. We had to walk down the hill, and at the side of a very slippery looking slope, that led down to the river that the dam emptied into.

I knew this wasn't the smartest thing I was ever going to do. I tested my footing a few times and decided I could make it without much danger. But unlike me, Alice didn't have snow cleats on to protect her from slipping. I had to think of her first. Maybe we shouldn't do this.

Then I had another idea. I told Alice to grab a hold of my coat with both hands, and to stay uphill of me. I knew I wouldn't fall; and if she did, she would fall right into me and be stopped from falling far. This should keep her safe from any danger.

We made it as far as we safely could without the risk of falling becoming too great. As a result, I got several great pictures of the dam. This one is the first of them. You can see here a good view of the whole dam. I have some other pictures that are spectacular. They're coming very soon. I just couldn't fit them in this story today.

After the snow is gone, and I know what the safety factor is, I'll try going down to where the stream is so I can get some shots from an even better angle. For now, this is pretty good for wintertime and an area covered with snow. It should also show the bravery of one little girl.

For Alice's little friend from Wonderland, if you're reading this story today, this is another example of her adventures. It will show you that your friend Alice is like a superhero. She does things like this all the time. Tell your parents that you want them to take you to places like this, so you can have fun adventures too.

That's my story of the Carpenter Lake Dam. I finally revealed it to you all. I hope you liked it. I hope to show a little more of it tomorrow. Until then...


Related Posts

17 comments:

  1. Your trek sounds exciting and perilous. Snow hikes can be tricky and slippery when you're not careful. But you're right, it was worth it because of the great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks cool and creepy at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed yesterday's post and today's post as well. The pictures were fantastic and I'm glad you both stayed safe. In Vermont, there have been people driving on the ice lately and the ice not holding them. Ice and water currents under the ice can be very tricky. I'm glad there are danger signs all around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ratty, that was pretty scary and Alice is both brave and lucky to have someone revealing the wonders of nature along with taking care of her safety.
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job! That's a bigger dam than I expected for so small a lake (at least my impression from your description.) I admire you for taking Alice along. I'm much more of a loner, but respect people who include youngsters in their adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great set of snow images.

    The dam is surely frozen but it looks quite a frozen frame of snowscape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ratty, As beautiful as that snow is it does look a bit scary to me. You are a brave one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alice is just a little who need your greatest care. The Danger Sign is there for Alice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dam(n) that Alice!!!! Ratty: you be careful.We don't want to have Alice be fatherless, now do we???
    We want a live Ratty, not a Rat-sickle!!!!
    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alaska Fishing - It wasn't too dangerous as long as I remembered to keep a safe distance from the thin ice. I also had ice cleats on that kept me from slipping very much. I loved getting the pictures.
    -

    Anonymous - It was cool, and the cloudy day did give it a sense of creepiness too. Every time I go there so far, sunny days turn cloudy.
    -

    Mountain Woman - We end up with people lost on our Great Lakes every year. People forget that the ice makes it extra dangerous. Even a small lake like this one can get more dangerous with the ice.
    -

    Frances - Alice is one of the bravest little girls I've ever seen. She takes after her cousin who is also a daredevil. The girls in Alice's family are very special. I really am glad to have these rare visits from Alice.
    -

    Sharkbytes - Thanks. I'm usually a loner too, but whenever Alice comes for a visit, she talks and talks about going along. She's one of the few people that like going, so I try to make it fun for her. I think they made the dam as big as it is so the lake would grow in size.
    -

    Roentarre - Thanks, I've been searching for a dam for awhile.
    -

    Jodapoet - It actually wasn't very dangerous. Going to see the outlet part of the dam was not the safest thing to do, but the rest is in an organized nature park.
    -

    Rainfield - Whenever Alice is with me, her safety is always the very first thing I think about.
    -

    Retired One - I'm terrified of drowning in safe conditions, so I would never take any big risks around water. I hope your trip is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ratty - I love it! Came by for a visit thru LinkReferral and stayed to look around. Good job. I just retired and am learning the painful lessons of building my own site and doing a couple of blogs. I commend your concept and execution. Scott a.k.a. "Surly-Mac"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Surly Mac - Thanks for stopping by. That's the beauty of LinkReferral; it can really help us find other interesting sites. A website can be difficult at first, but if you keep going it can turn out to be very worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i know, kids don't want to miss out on adventure, actually they love it :) I actually enjoy bringing along my niece whenever she spends time with us for her vacation, we introduced her to hiking and she was hooked and whatever she sees she reads a lot after, and we discuss a lot also, so it becomes very educational for her, and a lot of times, also for me :)

    wow, what great lengths you took but i am glad you both are safe, and thanks for the beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Betchai - When I first brought Alice along, I originally intended it for her older brother. I couldn't leave her out though. It turned out that he wasn't very interested, but she loved it. She has been much more fun than he would have anyway.:)

    It really wasn't very dangerous, there was a little danger though. When the snow melts, I plan on going down the slope to the river.
    -

    Veronica - Thanks, I'm really glad you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think those frozen water pictures are very cool too. In fact, I like your pictures so much I tagged you for a picture meme here: http://zemeks.blogspot.com/2009/02/5th-picture-meme.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Karen - Your picture meme looks interesting. It might take a few days, but I'll try it out.

    ReplyDelete