Sunday, April 7, 2019

Say No To Drugs

Today I got my dog off of drugs. After she was spayed her evil drug dealer the vet gave her some stuff that turned her into a psycho, aggressive and hyper lunatic. He called the pills "pain medication." I call them crazy pills. But let me tell you how all of this happened.

After Delilah was spayed the vet gave me three pills to give to Delilah to ease the pain. I was to give her one a day for three days. I had no idea what the awful results would be, but I wanted the best for my gentle little puppy.

The second day she was home, her first pill day, I gave her the first pill. In a little while, Delilah seemed to get a big boost of energy. She began running through the house at top speed. I was kind of surprised that she was feeling so much better already.

For the rest of the day, Delilah acted in her most obnoxious manner. She kept biting me and jumping on me much more than usual. This was much more aggressive than her usual playing. I had to push her away many times, but she insisted on attacking me, coming back each time. I just figured it was a bad day for her.

The second pill day, she went outside after her pill. I thought all was normal. Why would I not? But when I went outside I discovered that she had pulled a lot of the cable TV wire off of the side of the house! I caught her before she actually disconnected it or tore it apart. She was able to do this even though I always watch her closely when she's outside.

She was still being hyper-aggressive in everything she did for the whole day. She acted like this all day and much of the night. I got very little sleep because she kept me up almost till morning. She was just in a complete violent frenzy.

On the third pill day, I began to suspect that something wasn't quite right, but she was still behaving mostly like herself, just very much more so. It was just that all of her bad habits were greatly amplified. But then it got stranger.

After she had been outside for a little while, I went to the door to check on her. I looked down to discover that she had gathered her old poop into a pile on the porch! I suspected it was for snacks. Yuck! I quickly disposed of all of this.

I was pretty sure by now that the pills were somehow causing all of this behavior because it was only after giving her a pill that she acted crazy. I was glad they were now all gone.

And finally, the day after the pills, when they were all gone, she went back to behaving like her normal old self. The intense crazy behavior was gone. She still has some bad habits. All creatures do. But she's not so aggressively crazy and obnoxious.

I would still want her to have less pain after an operation like that, but I think I would be more prepared for the effects of pain pills now. This was not fun to deal with. She's still obnoxious sometimes, but in a normal way. I like normal.

I got her off the drugs. Say no to drugs, unless they're prescribed by a doctor. And even then, be prepared for the results. I'll talk to you later.


6 comments:

  1. You need to report this to your vet to include in her file. This is important information, just as if it were a human! I'm glad you are done with the meds, but you should have called right away when you noticed the behavior. There are other pain meds that can be administered that may not have the same effect. She is lucky that she didn't hurt herself after her surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those drugs really had a crazy effect on Delilah! And what Lin said about telling your vet about her reaction to the prescription. Binga got sick with certain vaccines, and that is in her records.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I’ve never heard of such a reaction to pain meds in a dog. Glad that’s over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good to her she returned to the real world and didn't need a recovery program

    ReplyDelete
  5. I probably would have called the vet after the first day and asked for something different. Glad she is back to normal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luckily none of my pets have ever had adverse reactions to anything they've had to take.

    ReplyDelete