Sunday, June 24, 2018

The Swamp

I thought I'd share some pictures of my local swampy pond this time. You've seen it before but maybe you didn't know it at the time. I find turtles in this pond quite often. This pond is right on the edge of a hidden nature preserve, but I don't think it's actually part of it.

I think the pond is maybe more interesting than the nature preserve. There's more to see in it. The nature preserve used to contain a good sized lake, but the lake has mostly dried up. I don't know when it happened, but I'm sure it was sometime in my lifetime. And I'm not as old as you might think.

Beyond this swampy pond is farmland. It was probably difficult, but they are able to farm on these rolling hills. The hills here are probably similar to what you might find in a place like Ireland. My own house is tucked in right on the edge of some of these hills.

There's actually more to this swamp than you see in my pictures today, but I have what I have. Honestly, I was looking for animals for pictures, not the swamp. What I found was the swamp, not the animals. It seems kind of weird, but you can find wild animals easier in the city than you can out here in the country. Who would have guessed?

Unrelated to this swampy pond, I've been doing lots of work on my property this year. I've been cutting down trees, mowing weeds on a large piece of land without a riding mower, laying gravel with a wheelbarrow and a shovel and rake, and trying to clean out my garage. And I won't be able to get started rebuilding my rotted back deck this year.

I can't keep up, but I'm determined to do all this stuff with only simple tools. I don't know why I don't just hire a crew or get a better way, but I feel like doing it this way. So it's going to be a busy summer. I would show you the results when I'm finished, but I'm not sure it'll be pretty.

I think that's enough for this time. I'll talk to you later.

8 comments:

  1. There’s always maintenance on a house and property. I am ready to move to rental property but my husband is not. So, the work continues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty there. I love all the wide open spaces

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really pretty, for a swamp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pond is a perfect place for wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fortunate you are to have such a nice feature close to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The animals have more room to roam and hide out in the country! That's a good thing for them, and the swamp is so interesting you really don't need to have wildlife ... it is luckythat you can get there so easily.! Your summer work schedule is very ambitious! We used to work almost that hard, but not any more. Lucky you are much younger than we are.

    ReplyDelete