Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Big River

I took a lot of pictures of the Missouri River here, but I only have this one to share for today. All of the others just looked so similar to this one that I decided that it would be better just to show you this one. There were little differences and variations, but this one picture showed what I wanted much better than all the others.

Now that I got that out of the way, I finally explain just what I'm trying to show you. I just wanted to share how big this one river can really get. I never think of a river as being so big. Oh sure the Detroit River, where I grew up, gets even bigger, but I kind of had the idea that it was unique in this way.

So much fresh water. I always imagine this part of the country as being kind of dry, without any bigger rivers. I think of the great plains, with endless corn fields and things like that. Here in the picture it seems that the water goes on forever. It seemed like that when I was there too.

That's all I really wanted to say. I was just a little awed by how much water there can be in some places. How much water surrounds us on our planet. I have a small fear of so much water surrounding me. I would sink like a stone. I think these thoughts as I sit here sipping on a bottle of water. Talk to you later.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, that IS a big river! Different areas of the country get known for certain things, but of course they all have a lot more to offer than just the cliches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remembering that there is so much more to different places is the hard thing.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful. We live near Lake Michigan. In fact, my daughter is going to school on the lakefront. It's lovely, but it can be every bit as dangerous as an ocean. Water is scary--you have to respect it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Great Lakes are so awesomely big that I sometimes even have trouble imagining it. not being able to see the other shore is just amazing.

      Delete
  3. How much water is there in the river?

    How many hairs on the human head?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to count my hair, but I keep having to start over.

      Delete
  4. I think there are some incredibly huge bodies of water in the US! When I visited in 2009, I crossed the Susquehanna river and is never seen anything like it before. In my own experience, the only massive bodies of water I'd seen were the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans and the Mediterranean Sea. I've since realised that rivers and lakes in the US are truly impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is incredible, isn't it. I used to think you could only find this much water near the Great Lakes, but I'm discovering more every day.

      Delete