Sunday, November 22, 2009

Bottoms Up


Why do they call them ducks? Could it be that it's simply because of this? The fact that they routinely duck under the water? I don't know, but this is one of the most fun things to watch. A whole bunch of ducks going down and then back up.

These ducks were an entertaining sight on an otherwise gloomy day. When I watched these ducks it was not on the most ideal of days. It was getting dark at about 3:00 in the afternoon. And on top of that, the sky was full of heavy clouds, and it was raining just enough to make it unpleasant.

The thing is that these ducks were still able to do the things they do all through this gloomy day. I realized while I watched them that the day didn't seem so bad after all. I wondered who else gets to sit there, yes I said sit, while watching as ducks somehow turn a gloomy day into a bright one.


Back up for air! She finally came back up from the water to see him waiting there patiently for her. As soon as she was up though, he took his turn to duck his head down into the water. This is a rare shot of both of them up at the same time. I was glad they were there helping me brighten my day.


Now for something completely different!

I received the Best Blog Award from my friend Nathan, over at Wild Facts. Go take a look at Nathan's blog. He features some of the most interesting and the strangest animals you've ever seen. Go ahead, you won't be sorry. And tell him Ratty sent you! You can find his post about the award here: Wild Award!


Thank you very much, Nathan!

Now the rules.
  1. Post it on your blog together with the name of the person who has granted the award and his/her blog link.
  2. Pass the award to 15 other blogs that you have recently discovered and think are great!
Nathan is a new friend so he may not know what all of you already know. That is the fact that I always cheat when I receive an award. I know, I'm terrible! I have my own very good reasons though. So what I'm going to do is present this award to all of you who comment here routinely who I haven't put in my sidebar yet. It's yours, all yours! Your official notification is when you read this post. It's a Best Blog Award, and I know you deserve it very much!

15 comments:

  1. I love the duck pictures. Especially the firt one. How fun to sit and watch them.
    Congratulations on the award. Well deserved. Yours is one of the best blogs I read ever day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shot Ratty, I love to watch them do this. These ducks belong to a group known as dabblers. When they go 'bottoms up' they are feeding on plant material under the surface of the water.
    Congrats on the award, very much deserved.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You get me searching the internet and this is an odd one:

    A duck ducks and a fox sox. But then occasionally a duck sox while a fox ducks. Have you ever seen a fox duck with no sox? I have, it's quite odd, really.."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ratty how about a caption like ducking out of the award!

    Sorry couldn't resist that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ducks are always amusing! There were several groups we saw while kayaking, but they all flew away long before we got close enough for pictures. Seemed odd, because a guy on shore was running a leaf blower and they ignored that. I wish we could have gotten closer because some were not mallards. Buffleheads, maybe.

    @Mike- you got that right! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the saying, "It's just like water off a ducks back..." They are perfectly designed!

    Congrats on the award!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great duck pictures. I love seeing all the duck butts sticking up out of the water. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that is a great way to handle the award rules. I have checked out some of the blogs from your commenters and they are definitely deserving of the Best Blog Award.

    Great shot of the feeding duck! I have always enjoyed watching ducks since they always find a way to entertain me.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen the ducks doing this a lot at Bell Isle. It's fun watching them.

    Congrats on your awards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love watching the ducks too...and you are right, Ratty...it always makes one happy! I love watching their fluffy butts go up when they are down in the water eating...it cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that bottoms up capture made me giggle. happy monday, Ratty! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. When they go 'bottoms up' they are feeding on plant material under the surface of the water


    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ratty I would be more than happy to send my neighbor's ducks your way so you could enjoy them also, but then my Shadow wouldn't be able to get his daily enjoyment. I much prefer your setting over mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everybody for all of your great comments. I always read every one of them. I've been pretty busy and things have gotten away from me, but I'll be back to answering each individual comment soon.

    ReplyDelete