Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Nesting Goose

Nesting GooseIt's time once again for a tour through nature, with your ever humble guide, Ratty, The Everyday Adventurer. It's time to take you to the magnificence of new Spring, and the wonders of life. I will show you the odd, the bizarre, the geese!

Today it's actually going to be one specific goose. The goose in these pictures is something I've never shown you before. This goose is, of course, sitting on a nest. Do you know why it's sitting on this nest?

If you guessed, for no reason at all, well, you're completely wrong! But if you guessed that the goose is sitting on an egg, then you are a winner! Give yourself a pat on the back. Go on, you know you deserve it. Hey! You didn't do it! I can see you, so do it now! Okay, that's better... some of you. I know who you others are! I'm magic!

Nesting GooseBut wait, how do I know there's an egg under there? See, I also know what you're thinking! Well, I don't know for sure. But as many of you know, I don't own a super fancy camera that can take long distance photos. As close as this goose looks is as close as this goose is.

I moved right up to it, and it was still determined not to move from that nest. I'll tell you right now that I do not recommend getting this close to a mother goose protecting here egg. She could quickly turn violent, and I've told you before that a goose can do some damage. Besides, why would you want to mess with the poor thing anyway?

I didn't linger around the goose for very long anyway. I got my pictures and then I moved away as quickly as I could. If you look closely at the new mother's face, there was definitely a look of concern. She didn't want me there, and I didn't try to disturb her.

Many people here in Michigan consider geese as pests. I understand their point, but I see them as a good example of the beauty of nature, especially a new mother goose such as this one. Just wait until her eggs hatch. Then we'll get a whole new adventure like we've never seen before!

Ahhhh. My old crazy self seems to be back. All is well.

14 comments:

  1. Ratty called a Canada Goose in the UK do you have a different name? Always nice to see wildlife photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had an amazing lunch just now at the Kuala Lumpur Bird Park, which I actually never really went before. There were hornbills and a few other Malaysian birds. All the while I was thinking of you and why I did not have my camera. There was even a squirrel who stopped by near our table and again, your stories came out. The restaurant is within the actuary....Is trying to copy the picture I have in my handphone to my PC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! From time to time we have geese on the pond at Hill-Stead but they never stay as it is surrounded by some high vegetation and they can't see predators sneaking up. They make a lot of noise when they come and go, and somehow it always makes me laugh. Once they get to like where they've nested, you'll never get rid of them, so I'm glad you like them! Cheers, Diane Tucker,

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have some nesting on our lake every year. I think we are the pests, not them. They were here first!

    The Retirement Chronicles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! It is a Mother Goose, a Mother Goose with an egg.
    But how sure you are on only one, not two?
    Hahahahahahahahaha......
    (Look like Mr. Nutz is back)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The goose is beautiful and although I did not know they can turn violent, she is a Mom protecting her young. Great post and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have some geese near the front entrance of my work. And they can be so mean in the spring. They are always ready to attack as if we are going to steal the eggs. Crazy birds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't touch my eggs! I'm serious. Don't mess with Mother Goose's little ones! Violent is much too mild a word.

    ReplyDelete
  9. any mom protecting their young can really get violent when threatened for they won't let anyone hurt their baby. obviously, it is not a pest attitude. anyway, i like how you phrase your story again, it always make me smile, there is always superb touch of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One comment to cover quiet a long time that I have been “away”; spent the past few days catching up on all of my “favorite” people. A cup (several) of coffee, a cold afternoon and I finally up to date on all of your entries. Excellent as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mike - We use the same name here too. Canada geese are so common here that I forget to add that part. I've only once ever seen a different kind.
    -

    Kruel - I'd love to have a bird park like that here. Be careful of that squirrel though. He may have been a leftover spy from the squirrel army. I hope you get your picture transferred over, but watch out, once you start taking those animal pictures, you may not be able to stop. :)
    -

    Diane - Actually, they like nesting outside my bedroom window. Every spring they begin to have a month long party out there, and they get pretty rowdy. I don't like them so much then. At other times I love 'em.
    -

    The Retired One - I think we are the pests sometimes too. They usually don't bother anything. And you're right, they were here first.
    -

    Rainfield - Good One! I'm not sure at all. It could be four! I'll have to find a cage for Mr. Nutz to repay him for trapping me. :)
    -

    Poetic Shutterbug - Geese have been known to kill dogs, but they're usually okay unless they're threatened. They're actually very social animals, but that's sometimes what causes problems. They are very beautiful though.
    -

    Carl - I've heard other very similar stories about them. They hang out near people for free food, but then look at the humans as threats. They are sometimes crazy.
    -

    Mother Goose - I think all mothers are like that. That's a good thing.
    -

    Betchai - Every mother should protect their young, and everyone else should understand that. Thanks very much for the compliment. Entertainment is my number one goal here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A.J. - It's good to hear from you, it's been a little while. One of my first friends here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ratty- I didn't realize that I hadn't stopped by today. That appears to be quite an urban location... a pond with a sidewalk or edging of some kind. Have the "authorities" roped off that section so some child doesn't get bitten by that silly goose? Actually, it's quite interesting that the goose would choose such a public place to nest. OK... I'll admit that they are handsome birds and the babies are cute. It's just that now there are too many of them in a lot of places.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sharkbytes - Actually I forgot to mention the location in my insane rant. It looks pretty urban, but the goose is really nesting at the side of the dam in one of the nature parks. It's well protected behind an iron fence. These geese will become a huge swarming flock around here in less than a month. So, I agree, too many.

    ReplyDelete