Friday, November 14, 2008

The Bridge At The Edge Of The Pond

Today I thought I would show a picture of some of the pond, from the back of the park. I can't remember if I ever showed a picture from here yet. Even if I did, it was in the summer, and everything looked completely different to me from here. If I didn't, I guess I'll have to correct that one of these times.

Anyway, this is the part of the pond that's on the hiking trail side. I'm on a section of trail that loops around behind me, and goes further to the back of the park, and into the forest. I've seen deer and even snakes back there. I have a few pictures of some of them posted on this site. But across the pond from me is something that I love.

It's that old bridge over there. Today from here it looks old and broken down to me. It wasn't made to look modern and shiny or anything. It was made to blend in with the surrounding nature. It's actually not that old, but today it looks like it's been there forever.

I guess it is blending in, because the surrounding forest looks old and vast. You can see the brown and gray colors of the fall all over everything. The trees are dropping their leaves at a very quick pace now. The plants directly in front of me are tall and gray. From here the pond looks completely still.

This whole scene gives me a feeling of peace and the thought that I'm completely alone. The bridge and the other side aren't actually as close as they look in this picture. I zoomed the camera in to give a better look at the bridge. I take these pictures not knowing what I might use here, then I choose the ones I like.

Maybe I'll choose a picture because I like the way it looks. I might choose one because something interesting happened at the time I took it. The pictures I put here go from really good to really bad. Sometimes I'll put up bad ones because something exceptional happened at that time, and they are the best that I had. They're part of the story, and it couldn't be told properly without these bad pictures.

The same goes for the good ones sometimes, but I guess I don't feel the need to explain myself at those times. Who needs to say, "Be careful when you look at this picture, the sight of it might dazzle you."? Not me, but sometimes I do anyway. It's my humble side coming out.

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, the bridge and the pond. But I think I ran out out of room while I was being proud of myself. So I'll end this here saying, that bridge is one of my favorite places to be. I really like bridges. It doesn't matter if I'm alone or not, I really like it out here.


Related Posts

2 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful photo and one that I'd love to hike. Although I wouldn't like the snakes :) The bridge has it's own charm maybe because of it's history. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodapoet, there aren't really that many snakes in this park. The ones that I've see are only harmless garter snakes. My grandma was the first one that actually showed a garter snake to me. She found it in her garden, and picked it up and showed it to me. A squirrel is more dangerous.

    ReplyDelete