Sunday, October 5, 2008

Did I Get My Flying Bird Picture?

In the last post "My Quest For A Bird In Flight", I left you with the question "Did I get any flying bird pictures?"

YES, I did!
I bet you were surprised that I was so quick to answer. I could have dragged it along for the entire post, but I decided to give you a wonderful gift. Aren't you grateful? Show me how much, and leave a comment.

This top picture was taken at Sumac Pointe. It looks to be a Heron of some sort. Things I have read say that the Great Blue Heron is plentiful in Michigan. So that's probably what this was. The size seemed to match up. This bird was huge. A Great Blue Heron is said to stand about four feet tall, and has a wingspan of about seven feet across. That's a big bird!

When he flew by, it took me a few seconds to get the camera ready. I still wasn't very quick, but I'm beginning to get better. As you can see by the picture, I almost lost this one. I would've kicked myself if I had, because it wasn't flying very fast.

In this picture above, you can see a bird close to the center. When I was on the trail at Woodland Hills, I heard birds all around me. In these particular trees, they were very loud.

When I looked up, I saw that the trees were full of birds, and they were flying from branch to branch. Looking up may have been a bit foolish, but I was determined to get a picture of a flying bird.

I told you last time about spinning around like a fool, trying to get some bird pictures. Well this time, I stood there looking up into the trees, waiting for a bird to fly by. The trees seemed to empty right out as if by magic. I was standing below these trees remembering that other time, and thinking how similar this was. I have several more bad, blurry pictures to show for it too.

In the end I got this one picture of a bird in flight. It may not be the best ever, but I love it. You can see the wings spreading out, and see a little bit of motion blur. It's great! I don't know what kind of bird it is, but I don't care. I got the picture!

This last picture was from the very same day as the second. What luck! As you can see, they're probably the same type of bird. These were all over the park that day. These birds were maybe slightly smaller than a pigeon. Not small, but not the biggest bird you'd ever see.

I have to say, I was ready for this last one. I saw them from far off, so I had my camera in position. I walked slowly and quietly towards them. They saw me anyway, but I still got this one. That's the best I had done up to that point. I finally had my flying bird pictures! I gave 'em what fer! Ha!

If you wonder what's next for The Everyday Adventurer, keep reading. There's of course something new here every day!

3 comments:

  1. what kind of camera are you using? The type of camera can make a HUGE different in the quality of pictures you get.. as well as the setting on that camera. If you want to catch better images, learn your camera inside and out. Try and learn about large focal points instead of short focal lengths.. For instance, if you have a large depth of field, there will be a LOT of things in the picture that are in good focus.. If you have a small depth of field, you will have one very small piece of the image in AMAZING focus..

    For shooting birds that are flying, you want a large depth of field so that when the bird moves, it will still probably be in focus.

    Here is an awesome birds flying picture my husband took
    http://bscphoto.com/place/place_img/new_hope-074.jpg

    He's a great photographer
    http://bscphoto.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yea.. heres another good one
    http://bscphoto.com/place/place_img/repko_305.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. LindsayAnnG - My camera is a Canon Powershot A590 IS. It's mostly just point and shoot. It's not meant for some things I use it for, but it sometimes works. I've actually gotten some good bird pictures since this post. I'm just beginning to learn about focal points so thanks a lot for the tip, it's appreciated.

    I like your husband's pictures. You're right, he is a very good photographer.

    ReplyDelete