Monday, August 31, 2015

Sumac

I found these small Sumac trees by the side of the road where I usually go to look for buffalo. I believe these are the non-poisonous variety, but then again I know very little about them except the few things I've read around the blogging world.

The last time I saw sumac was back in Michigan at one of my favorite nature parks. There was a small shelter there on a big hill where I used to look down to see the tops of acres and acres of these sumac trees. All of those red spots within the green of the leaves looked really nice. I loved going there.

Here's a more closeup look at the sumac. I don't want to go much closer because I took these pictures with my phone. You get a good look with this picture though.

Somebody told me that you can make tea with the red stuff. I'm guessing that there are probably plenty of uses for sumac. I won't go into that too now, but I'm sure you can find out more with a simple web search. I just did. I guess it makes a good spice too.

This is a plant that I never thought I'd see again. I've been to that area many times and I haven't seen sumac there until now.I thought maybe it didn't grow in this part of the country. I'm really glad it does. I kind of missed it. I'll talk to you later.

11 comments:

  1. I had no idea you could make tea with the red part. Since I know so little about most plants I would be afraid to try it. I would probably poison myself....lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was raised on Japonica ST. the next street over was Sumac...but I had never seen sumac before :O]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pink lemonade with the flowers, takes a lot of sweet.They are turning colors already here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so pretty! I have no idea you can use the flowers for tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My human knows nothing about sumac - we are not even sure it grows on the West Coast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How can you tell the difference between the poisonous sumac,and the one you can make tea from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how to tell the difference. I usually just view it all from a distance. I leave the tea to more knowledgeable people.

      Delete
  7. Lovely plant. I had no idea what that was. I am impressed that you knew that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned something nEw! I've seen that tree, but didn't know it's name. The picture s look amazing enlarged on my iPad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful plant, I am not sure I have seen it yet, and wow, would like to try the tea too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tea tastes like lemonade because its sour.

    ReplyDelete