Thursday, February 12, 2015

Now I Have A Male Cardinal

Just a day after the female Cardinal came to my feeder this male Cardinal showed up. Now you can see the difference between the two. The female is that brown color, while this male is a crimson red. Male birds often seem to be more colorful than the females for some reason.

This male has been coming several times now so I'll have to get some better pictures than these. This was the first time I was able to get any pictures at all. The first time I tried I found out my cameras memory card was full. By the time I got the camera ready again the bird had gone.

Even so, I was able to get these pictures and more when he came back. I was so disappointed that first time, but glad when he came back shortly after.

This male Cardinal seems to rule the roost around here now. The Juncos are a little afraid of him, but they show up every time he comes to the feeder. I'll have to see if I can get pictures of the little drama that happens when several birds show up at the same time.

I'll be focusing my posts on activity at the feeder for a little while because my truck's in the shop. I can't go on any adventures for the time being. They have to replace the transmission, which is going to cost me about $2,500. I knew it was eventually going to happen, but it still hurts.

I still have some stuff I want to show you from my last couple of little adventures, so I'll mix those in too. But I'll have a lot of stuff from the feeder. I hope you'll like that stuff. At least I'll be showing lots of wildlife. Those are always my favorite kinds of posts. I'll talk to you later.

23 comments:

  1. Great shots. It took me a while before I could get any pictures of the cardinals that come around here. They can be pretty fast sometimes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a few times before I got these pictures of the Cardinal too. But I've got the only feeder around.

      Delete
  2. Magnificent photos of the male cardinal ~ beautiful color!

    Happy Weekend coming to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. bummer about your truck, it is so expensive to repair any vehicle these days!!!

    but what you are gaining, time with your feather friends, is soooo much better. these are great captures of this bright red fellow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one thing I can say about the truck is that it's giving me more time for the birds.

      Delete
  4. ouch on the truck repair! love your handsome visitor, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days the truck will be fixed, and I'm glad the Cardinal decided to show up now.

      Delete
  5. Male cardinals are such pretty birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Male Cardinals and Goldfinches are two of the most colorful and beautiful I've seen.

      Delete
  6. Male cardinals are such pretty birds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun to see this cardinal - we don't get them out here in the Southwest. At least I have never seen them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, these Cardinals are an eastern bird. At least you can see them in pictures.

      Delete
  8. They are so wonderful! Ouch on the transmission. But your feeder pictures are great. Backyard adventures can be just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about any backyard adventures for a couple of years. Now I wish I would have done this sooner.

      Delete
  9. You are very lucky to have the Cardinal! What a beauty he is! Very good photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photos are the easy part. I'm glad he shows up on most days.

      Delete
  10. I rescued an injured one the other day. Those beaks are strong, it didn't want to let go of my finger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just wondering about birds biting. I thought I might have to rescue a Woodpecker, but it turned out she was just fine. She flew away as soon as she saw me getting close.

      Delete
  11. Cardinals always nearly take my breath away. Especially in winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are some of the most colorful birds out there.

      Delete