Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Grasshoppers And More Pictures

I have a brand new critter for you today. I don't exactly know the name of this big bug. It's one of those grasshopper type bugs that fly around for short distances. They actually look like butterflies when they're in flight. This one is about as long as my finger.

I saw this bug fly into the air from a place in front of my foot. I always watch them carefully to find out where they land. This one is the first one that I was ever able to find after it found a good place to land. It thought it had a good hiding place from me among the weeds, but I guess it was wrong this time.

The good thing about these weeds are that they're tall and skinny, so this one moved with the weight of this bug. I was able to see exactly where the bug landed. I've been searching through these weeds quite a bit because many animals seem to like hiding out in them. Birds, bugs, frogs, snakes, and even cats.

I'm going to have to do some more searching through these weeds for new critters in the next few days because I don't have any pictures to share right now. I didn't take any pictures either on my little break, so I've got some adventuring to do. I'm looking forward to that.

The good thing is that I don't really have to go very far to get pictures. I can either choose to stay here around home or go to a nearby nature park. That much nature can be a bit overwhelming for someone like me who lived most of his life in a city.

It's taking me a bit to get used to that kind of thing. It was wonderful when I first got here, and it stayed that way. But I soon discovered that there was so much nature I didn't know what to do with it. Now I'm finally beginning to sort things out just a bit. Now I'm off to get those pictures!


14 comments:

  1. Beautiful photographs, fantastic view. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely some kind of grasshopper, but there are SO many species. Hope you are soon exploring outside as much as you like again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it probably was, but I'm never sure when I find something kind of new. I'm glad you confirmed it. I'll be back outside soon if only the heat will stop fighting me.

      Delete
  3. So, all these little critters are lining up, waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little critters are waiting for me, and I hope I see every one of them.

      Delete
  4. wow, look at those eyes, you captured it so wonderfully, the eyes make it like the grasshopper will jump out from the screen of my laptop soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing the eyes is one of the things I always like about bug pictures too.

      Delete
  5. an amazing photo! he is looking right at me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He thought he was hiding well, but it wasn't quite good enough.

      Delete
  6. Good to see you out and about again! As we drift into fall and it starts to cool off a bit it is a good time to start exploring again! I will be doing the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping this fall will be a happier one for me.

      Delete
  7. You are experiencing an overdose of Vitamin N (Nature).
    Don't worry...this isn't fatal. Reckon you knew this.
    Loved your photos of the grasshopper.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature is one of the few things that it's good to overdose on.

      Delete