Saturday, March 2, 2019

One Week With Delilah

I still haven't gotten out on any nature adventures, but I've been very busy with my new puppy Delilah. Maybe you want to know about it, or maybe you don't. Either way, I'm still going to tell you about it. So let's go.

It took me exactly three days to house train Delilah. She now asks to go outside whenever she needs to do her stuff. There is a small problem though. She still has had a few accidents because she is going a little too often and too much, even for a puppy. I got that checked out at the vet, and he gave her some medicine which should fix her up.

Her visit to the vet was to get the last shots a puppy needs. She took it very well. She didn't even flinch. Her next visit will be for her adult shots and to get spayed so there won't be any more puppies in her line.

Just like the picture says, she is highly intelligent. I have already taught her to sit on command and to give me her paw. She performs well almost every time. I've also taught her to sit patiently while I attach her chain to go outside. Remember, I've only had her one week.

This is all pretty good for such a spirited and energetic dog like her. I finalized my choice for her when I saw her curiosity and energy. I could have taken her sister, but she was more docile than Delilah.

Overall, Delilah has had a very successful first week. She loves it here, and she hasn't shown that she misses her old home at all.

I'm still working on getting back out to the nature parks. The snow is still too deep, and it's too cold out. That all should change before next weekend. We'll see. Delilah isn't quite up to riding in the truck yet to go. She can't hold her bowels long enough. The medicine should help.

She isn't as short and squat looking as she looks in this last picture. It's just a bad picture. She moves around too much for me to get a good one so far. I'll keep trying.

Since I took this picture, her ears now stand straight up most of the time. First, the left one popped up and then the right one followed.

Okay, I think I'll finish this right here. You've agonized through this enough. As you might be able to tell, I love my new dog. This post is what happens when somebody gets a rough case of cabin fever. I'll talk to you later.

6 comments:

  1. that dog would love a romp in the snow, I never let it slow me. I was out last Sunday when they said don't leave home unless you have to.I walked and didn't drive, the sun was out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delila sounds like a very smart young girl! I bet you'll have lots of adventures with her once the snow goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delilah is great company. I imagine she’ll enjoy those nature walks with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if Delilah could come teach Gibbs how to be a good dog. He's 5 and still has bad habits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You aren't boring me with Delilah stories....keep 'em coming! It is fun to hear all about her and what she can do, or does do. You are excited about your new friend and we want to share in it! Puppy news is always better than talking about the weather, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, of course, that pup needs all of your attention.

    ReplyDelete