Monday, November 10, 2008

Memories Of Fallen Leaves

A lot of times while I'm out hiking on one of my everyday adventures, I'll take pictures of just the ground in front of me. When I get back home, I don't really know what to do with these pictures other than enjoy them myself. I use every picture I take as random desktop wallpaper for my computer.

I'm never sure if anyone else would want these, so I never put them on this site. There's not always a story I can tell for these pictures, so I'm the only one who gets to see them. I decided today to show a few that fit that pretty well.

These three photos I show here are some I decided to take of the leaves on the path in front of me. At the time I thought they would make good desktop wallpaper, but I never intended to put them here. But then I figured, why not? So now these are here for everyone to see.

Anyone who wants these can go ahead and use them for their own wallpaper. I thought they were a good example of what fall looks like. They are basically pictures of the same area of leaves, with the camera zoomed differently.

Everything in nature is unique, and when you leave here, you might never see these again. After I took these pictures, I stepped on this very spot as I moved on my way to something new. Of course this changed the way this spot looked forever. There may have been dozens of people that went through here after me.

Animals have come through here and changed the look of this area some more. Even the wind and the rain, and more fallen leaves have changed this site. Time has taken these leaves and began to turn them to dust. Never to be seen again. Gone.

These are not only pictures of leaves on the floor of the forest. These pictures have captured a moment in time that will never come again. I wonder if that's why we value pictures so much. We look at them and have fond memories that we know we can never exactly have again.

We can do the exact same thing we did before, but we all know when we try, that it never turns out quite the same. That first time is always the special one. Always unique. And we can never quite do it again.

This is why I always say to try different things every day. You'll have so many special memories that the other lost experiences from the past won't hurt so much when you try to recapture them. Plus it just makes for a more exciting and special life. Then you can look back on your favorite pictures, and think fondly of them, knowing that you have more adventures yet to come.


Related Posts

5 comments:

  1. A lovely sentiment!
    Mimmylynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen maple leaves before.. Thanks for posting them :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I could help, Clarisse. I have several pictures of the trees these leaves came from, throughout this site. Thanks for commenting :)

    And also thank you very much, Mimmylynn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's interesting, I have a whole host of pictures of fallen leaves and leaf litter, I've been putting them together to post at a later date, perhaps a wordless wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wordless Wednesday is a great idea. I might try something like that some time. So far I've had trouble keeping my hands off my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete