Monday, December 18, 2017

Wabbit Twacks

Do you notice how busy the trail in this picture looks.Judging by all of those tracks, there must have been a lot of people walking through this busy nature park. Right?

Actually, that's not right. Take a closer look at these tracks. None of them are from humans. I was the only person to enter this park since it snowed. Every one of the tracks in this picture are from animals, mostly rabbits.

So, what does this tell us about this park?

First of all, there are a heck of a lot of rabbits running around in this place. I already know that part is true because I've gotten my best rabbit pictures from here. If you come here at the right time you can see literally dozens of rabbits running around. Seeing that many means there could be hundreds.

The second thing it tells us is not many people like to come out to a place like this when it is cold and snowy. Obvious? My point here is that I like this kind of weather and I love being in a place like this all alone. So this is the best time for me to get back to hiking again. It all makes me happy.

Without the people crowding this place, the animals can thrive here. That's good for the animals, for me, and for you because I'll share the pictures of them with you.

And it won't be just rabbits, even though most of these tracks are from them. I saw squirrel tracks too, which are similar to rabbit. There were some deer walking this trail. And I even saw tracks from at least one coyote.

But there were other kinds of tracks I found on my next trip here. Those tracks were a bit confusing. I eventually found the culprit. The creature that made them was different than any other I'd ever seen before. I'll reveal what I saw in my next post this Friday. I'll talk to you later.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting!
    Tracks, rabbits, squirrels...
    Rats love winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d love a walk there, Ratty. I’ll do it through you please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to hear about what kind of creature you saw that you didn't name. Judging from all the rabbits, I wonder if it is a predator - there is certainly enough prey there to keep a good number of them well fed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always lamented about being those first footprints on a snow. There is a nice feel to have a place all to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of tracks. I would never be able to tell what made them all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like there are a ton of rabbits there...or someone does a LOT of hopping around!

    I love to go out in the snow to see who has been by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh- looking forward to your new find. We have a rabbit that likes to hide under the car. He runs out every morning when I got outside. I need to be ready with the camera.

    ReplyDelete