Monday, April 13, 2015

A Male Downy Woodpecker

You've seen pictures of a Downy Woodpecker here several times now, but these are a first. After looking at my newest pictures I discovered something different about this bird. I know you won't notice it until I point it out to you. It's a small thing, but it's very noticeable.

On the back of this bird's head is a bright red band. That red band marks it as a male Downy Woodpecker. The female doesn't have this red mark. After seeing that mark I realized that it explains so much about the woodpecker I've been watching.

Once I put out this feeder I noticed that the Downy Woodpecker was coming to it very very often. I was wondering how it could stuff itself so much. Any time another bird showed up the Woodpecker was quickly there soon after. 

Now I know that this bird shows up so often because it's actually more than one bird. There are at least two of these Woodpeckers at the feeder. I can only tell now because of that red mark, but I'm also beginning to suspect that there may be even three or more of these birds coming.


Here above you can really get a good look at the red mark on the back of the Woodpecker's head.

I'm still very behind on posting my bird pictures. Maybe I'll catch up if the birds that come to the feeder begin to slow down. They have slowed quite a bit. It seems the same birds are coming over and over. I'm getting the two kinds of Woodpeckers and the Juncos, and that's mostly it. I won't keep repeatedly showing you pictures of them unless I have a good reason.

Now that the weather is warming up maybe other birds will come over. I haven't seen any yet. The Woodpeckers dominate the feeder while the Juncos pick up the scraps. And the Juncos will soon be gone. What will replace them? I'll talk to you later.

12 comments:

  1. I enjoy all the woodpeckers. They have a noise when they fly away also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't mind having woodpeckers visit my feeder. I don't recall ever getting one out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love these guys and their ladies, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome snaps...i don't know why the guys get the red. the girls would appreciate it so much more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't aware that only males had the bright red spot on the back of the head. Thanks for teaching me something new!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't aware that only males had the bright red spot on the back of the head. Thanks for teaching me something new!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the red bellied and the downy and I'm learning how to tell those two kinds and now the male and female downy apart ...so go ahead and post as often as you like... I learn something new each time I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some hungry woodpeckers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And if you go outside while they are waiting to eat, you will get an earful from the Downies. They peep loudly when they want to get to the feeder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good post Ratty! You are really learning your birds. I love your enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such wonderful photos Ratty...I did notice the red band on it's head before you pointed it out to us...I found it very striking...I bet the male woodpeckers are visiting so often to collect for for nesting mums and chicks so maybe it is only one visiting?? Something to think about!!

    ReplyDelete