Monday, September 9, 2013

Broken Kettle Flowers

I sometimes forget that simple things can be some of the most enjoyable things. I've been driving by Broken Kettle Grasslands a lot, and I've been seeing that it's just full of these yellow flowers. I never really paid much attention to them until now.

Broken Kettle Grasslands is a huge place. It's the largest open prairie in the Midwest. There are wild buffaloes in there. The only problem is that it's closed off to the public most of the time. This place is kept specifically to preserve the area.

There are a few places where you can go to observe it from the outside, but you can't really go in. I've been to a place where I've seen evidence of the buffaloes, but they weren't there at the time. So I'm still searching for them.

You can see the flowers in the picture above. It's the closest I could get because the fence in the picture is electrified. It's there to keep the wild animals in and safe, and to keep humans out. But this close is all I really needed to be.

What attracted me was this field of yellow. I didn't need to get close enough to find out the identity of the flowers. I know some of them are sunflowers and some of them are goldenrod. There is a third kind that I don't know about though.

That third kind will probably remain a mystery. Seeing that field of yellow all the time is the beauty of this place. Individual details are irrelevant. The picture really doesn't do this place justice. I wish I could have done better. Oh well.

I'm still looking for the identity of the birds I mentioned before. I'll share them as soon as I have it. I'll talk to you later.

8 comments:

  1. You would probably have to take a panoramic shot to get close to capturing the expanse of this area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's actually a setting on my camera to take panoramic shots but I don't know how to use it yet.

      Delete
  2. Ratty, that is a great shot and you've capture some beautiful color on the flowers. How cool to have wildlife there in the area. I've had my camera for years with the panorama setting and I still don't know how to use it :) One of these day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to remember to learn the panorama setting now, but I'm sure I'll be awhile before I actually do it.

      Delete
  3. I love the shot, the contrast of the wildlfowers on those hills, I only know how to take panorama picture from my cell phone, hehe!h

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some cellphones make that stuff extra easy.

      Delete
  4. One of favorite places, there is memorial chairs for a friend up there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've sat on those chairs a few times now. I'm going back up there to see if I can get a look at the buffalo in a day or two.

      Delete