Friday, May 24, 2013

Rabbits And Other Stuff

I always feel like a happy little kid when I see a rabbit. I want to run over and pick it up and hold it. of course the adult in me tells me immediately to forget those ideas. I guess it's a good thing most rabbits are pretty fast.

You ever notice that many of us would like to pick up and cuddle a rabbit, but we'd never consider it if we saw a lizard? Lizards just don't seem very cuddly, do they? Rabbits on the other hand...

My uncle used to raise rabbits. He kept them in a giant pen out behind his house. I remember him showing me the setup he had. When we got out there I saw that the rabbits had been digging holes in the ground in there. I asked my uncle how he kept them from digging out and escaping.

He explained that the sides of the pen actually went down several feet into the ground. A rabbit will only dig a certain distance down with their holes. All you have to do is go down a little farther with the sides of the pen.

Many of the rabbits were down in the holes while we were out there, so I guess I only saw part of them. Rabbits have to live somewhere, so holes are pretty good. I think my uncle finally let them all go eventually. I never really saw them too many more times, so I'm not sure what happened to them.

My uncle and my dad used to keep the strangest animals around. My dad usually stuck to farm animals, but I wouldn't have been surprised to visit my uncle one time and find out he had a kangaroo or something like that.

I'm a little different than them. i like animals, but I keep most of them at a distance. I like having a dog around, and I've had cats, but anything more is just extra work. I get my fill of other animals by taking pictures of the wild ones.

But sometimes I think some of them sense I'm their friend. I've had all sorts of wild animals just walk right up to me. It's funny to find out that they're just as curious as I am. If you've ever had a deer try to coax you into coming closer then you know something weird is going on.

So there you have it. My post today was slightly different. But aren't they all? I told you I talk about whatever I'm thinking at the time. I gotta say though, that post the other day about chasing a tree was a stretch. Talk to you later.

12 comments:

  1. I like your post and what you are thinking about. Great job.

    Meta

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a child, my human LOVED picking up and petting lizards! Well, actually she still likes doing that. In fact, she is actually better with lizards than she is with bunnies, who tend to squirm a little when she holds them. She's rather odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky your human decided to be your friend instead of a lizard. You must have something special about you.

      Delete
  3. Hello! Beautiful post with beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ratty, we always had various pets as we grew up. I remember my brother bringing home the school rabbit for summer vacation and whilst it was with us it had babies, My Mum wasn't overly impressed and the school were that long collecting them that they took over the entire shed!! When they finally did come to collect the rabbits they left one behind so then we had to buy another rabbit to keep it company. They were lovely but nothing like the rabbits you see out in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be partly fun, as long as you don't mind being overrun with rabbits for a short time.:)

      I've only ever been close to rabbits like the one in my pictures. I've seen different kinds in pictures though.

      Delete
  5. Love this post, your story and those adorable photos. We always had rabbits and birds as pets so I love these little guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rabbits too. I don't try to keep them though because I don't think I pay enough attention to any pets except dogs.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the bunny fix. I love rabbits. Except when they are eating my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been unlucky enough to experience rabbits eating my garden yet. I keep planning a garden, but something always messes up those plans.

      Delete