Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Junky Junco

I tried. I really did. I tried to get some pictures of this junco in a more nature filled setting, but it was just having none of that at all. I originally spotted this little bird on a tree near my house, where it would have made just a perfect picture, but the junco just didn't want to stay put.

It then flew over into  some weeds where I thought it might be okay, but not as good as it was while it was on that tree, nope. As soon as I aimed my camera at this little creep (Is that too mean to call it a creep?), it flew away once again.

But then it flew over to a table where my dad used to keep various pieces of junk. I've never really had the heart to clean it up. My dad really loved his junk. The first thing he would do after buying a piece of land was to compile a junk pile.

He usually had plans for all of that junk, but a lot of those plans would fall by the wayside when he would come up with new plans. I should say that when his plans would come together, he would come up with something brilliant. He was working on some very good alternative energy experiments before he died, the only one finished was the outdoor wood furnace I've shown you.

But with all of those other plans comes a lot of old junk that was useless to anyone but him, and this little junco. This bird seemed to love the old junk on that table. It said proudly on an old piece of wood that was full of doorknobs. Don't ask me why anyone would install half a dozen doorknobs in one piece of wood. I have no idea. 

But once that junco got there it seemed to me that table of junk had a use after all. It turns out that it was a good place to rest for that little bird, and a good place for me to get its picture a few times. I guess in the end that it's a pretty good deal.

These are actually the best pictures of a junco I've ever had. Even though it would have been nicer to get them in a more natural setting, I'm still glad I got them. Talk to you next time.

16 comments:

  1. That's the bird everybody kept mistaking my Black Phoebe for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that a lot of people thought it was a junco. I noticed the subtle differences right away.

      Delete
  2. Great close shots of that bird! Perhaps that piece of wood was a practice piece for learning to install doorknobs or trying out different kinds maybe? My dad loved collecting what looked like junk to me too, but to him he could always see a use for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you're probably right about the doorknobs. I wonder why my dad ended up with it. My dad probably would have gotten along with yours pretty well.

      Delete
  3. This bird is not a junk after all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that your patience was eventually rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little bit of patience and a lot of mad dash.

      Delete
  5. oh, that was a cute little one, well, I do oftentimes are in that situation too, they leave the space I wanted for them to stay for better picture, but they have their own minds :) but at least, you have it captured that close, and they look wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I keep trying to tell myself. I was lucky to get it at all.

      Delete
  6. Birds just refuse to pose in perfect settings for the most part. Nice find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get lucky one of these days and get one in the perfect pace.

      Delete
  7. Lots of happiness percieved from these little birds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping he was a sign of spring. Maybe he was a sign of the late winter.

      Delete
  8. Excellent shots. Glad you were able to capture the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too, even if it wasn't quite a perfect moment.

      Delete