Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Defender Robin

Take a very close look at this robin's beak. She has a bug in her mouth! I'm assuming this is a female because of the way I found her, but I could be wrong about this. For now I'm just going to assume it's a female, and I'll tell you why I think so. I'll start at the beginning.

I was out at my favorite place to see birds, in a meadow right at the edge of the forest. I saw a bird's nest that was about the same height as I was. It was in a thickly grouped section of small trees right at the edge of the path. I thought it was an old one as I walked closer to get a better look. But then as I got to the edge of the trees, a robin flew out of the nest in a flurry of feathers!

It landed on a branch very nearby and began making distressed sounds. It was pretty obvious that it wanted  me to go away, but I wanted to get a few pictures first. I took exactly two quick pictures of the robin, one of which you see here. I like my pictures, but it's more important to let an animal know that I mean no harm. I moved away soon after.

This is the nest the robin leaped out of. I never think of nests as having anything in them. And I certainly won't look inside because I don't consider myself qualified enough to do this without harming or upsetting the occupants. In fact, I was glad to have left the robin in peace when I did.

While it was on that branch squawking at me, I got the distinct impression that it was not only upset, but it meant to defend its nest if it had to. I later found out that an American robin will dive bomb a person to defend their nest. I really didn't want to get in a fight with a robin that was just defending itself.

I was glad to learn a little of this information first hand. Seeing this behavior with my own eyes confirmed the things that I read. This combination is the best way to learn about things. I was able to do it without causing too much trouble, and I'll remember to stay clear of this nest when I go back, but only a little bit. Maybe I'll still get to see the young ones one of these times.

12 comments:

  1. Oh that's a beautiful robin with food for her baby! The nest is very pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They actually will share duties depending on nest age. Mom sits it out until hatched and then both take turns with the feedings.A mature robin eats 20-30 feet of worms in a day so think what extras two need to catch for a nest full of babies.I haven't heard of any fatalities with the dive bombing, but they do let you know to not bother them.We had a red-winged blackbird nest along our drive for many years and it was routine to get dive- bombed.My dad said it was the reason for a bald spot, but the bird always came back. To attract robins all they need is a horizontal piece of board placed out and they will build on it.Follow Jean on the Joy of Birdwatching and Living Simple about nestlings and some fun bird pics and sites she shares.She is the lady sitting in a white chair on my followers of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Female and male robins can be hard to tell apart unless they are seen together. The female is slightly paler, that's about it. The above comment is right on, robins do share rearing duties and the male is a dedicated father. I'm certian either would defend the nest.

    That new camera is really paying off! Nice picture of the bird!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely wonderful photos here. Nice job. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a robins nest in my bushes last year. I didn't know it at first and couldn't figure out why every time I let the dog out there was a robin hopping around in the lot next to ours. It would act like it was injured or something in an attempt to lure us away from the bush that hid the nest. I wasn't aware that they would dive bomb humans. lucky for us this one did not attempt that

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your have a fantastic finding.

    It is so nice to sit down and observe how the mother come back with a worm on its beak to feed the little birds.

    Just sit down there, and observe for the whole day. There must be then many stories by you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've made the right decision to leave the nest alone Ratty. Some animal attack their own child after being touched by human.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice story to read the day before Mother's Day! I'm glad you were able to share the story, and even more glad you left the mother to tend to her babies. I was dive-bombed once as a child. I don't know what kind of bird it was, but I don't think I'll ever forget the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know robins and I had something in common - a love for fine bugs! That said, I would not want to run afoul (pun intended) of nesting robins. If they divebomb humans, they would double-divebomb a cat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great capture here Ratty and a perfect post for Mom's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you got the picture without annoying that robin too much. One wouldn't want to upset birds you will want to photograph again later! Besides, you're too much a friend of those guys to create ill will.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's really a sweet encounter, both the birdie and her home sweet home. ^__^

    ReplyDelete