Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Brown-Headed Cowbird

I decided today that I should come through for you. One day I showed you a mystery blackbird. Then we came to the consensus that the bird was a brown-headed cowbird, even though it was difficult to identify it. So what did I do? The very next day I brought you the bird that it wasn't, the common grackle. So today I thought maybe I should show you some better pictures of the right bird, this brown-headed cowbird.

I've actually had these pictures for about a month. Time just kept slipping away, and they became older and older. But now I have a good reason to finally bring them to you. This bird comparison has really been fun for me, and educational too. That's the best kind of fun.

Before I saw that mystery bird, I was under the impression that we only had one kind of blackbird around here, the red-winged blackbird. Now I know that there are at least three kinds here, and many other related birds. There are a lot of other types of blackbird, but those live elsewhere, maybe in your neighborhood.

When I originally found this cowbird, I kept thinking I recognized it. It wasn't that I ever saw one before, but it was because I saw pictures of them while doing research on other birds. So finding out about one bird lead to my knowledge about this one. Learning can be like an avalanche. You start out with something small, but then it keeps rolling along. And before you know it, you have learned a lot more than you ever expected.

Now I can look at animals that I've never really seen before, and I know almost instinctively what they are. It gets easier every day, and all I have to do is go out and enjoy nature. I still make some mistakes along the way, but that's the best way to learn. Now I can point out so many different things to people, but I started out with almost no knowledge of nature at all. Anyone can do this. All you have to do to get started is go out and breath the fresh air.

Nature Center Magazine today features a new idea! Today is the debut of Nature Tales, a brand new feature we will do from time to time that consists of nature related fictional stories. Anyone can join in and write a story. The first one is from an all new contributor, Steve, from the blog, Out On The Prairie. Take a look, and then follow the links back to Steve's blog.

17 comments:

  1. Ratty, bird identification can indeed be difficult. I have a great book for Thailand, but sometimes the species I photograph looks nothing like the book!

    I must say I am enjoying your "diversification" with a few more birds from the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes those birds looks very identical, only different in certain minor parts. I am well educated by your blog Ratty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talking about enjoying nature, I recently took my sons for a walk through our local forest trail when we happened to spot a red deer. My kids were amazed at the site of this beautiful creature, I was told that the deer had left this area years ago but obviously not. Great fun enjoying nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Note the shorter thicker beak on the cowbird as compared to the longer, thinner appearing beak of the grackle. Nice photo of the brown headed cowbird.

    Bill:www.wildramblings.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I struggle with identification. You are getting quite good at it. Nice photos of the brown headed cowbird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice catch. I don't think I've ever seen one around here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't these guys mysterious? I kept seeing these "black birds" sitting on my horses butts and thought "those are NOT black birds..." Then I figured it out. Birding is so fun!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ratty!

    It's been a long time since I've stopped by. So glad to see you're still out in the wild, having adventures and showing us strange and unusual things :)

    I hope all is well!

    All the best,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankfully, I learn from you, Ratty, since my forays into nature are minimal! The wild animals I see are the two legged kind on the streets of San Francisco. They are more dngerous than the four legged creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You certainly are educating me. I never knew there were so many varieties of each bird. You are doing a great job figuring out all these black birds. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been a bird watcher for years and it does get easier. Yet, sometimes I see a mystery bird. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the looks of this one. I spotted a red winged black bird today while I was driving. Thanks to reading your very educational blog I actually knew what it was

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must agree with Mike that sometimes the species I photograph looks nothing like the book, or there are some differences on the colours.

    Bird identification is not an easy task, and there are many mistake along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have so many different species around you. How do you keep them all straight? I'm not sure I could identify even 5 or 6 different birds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have lots of these birds too...and they make the neatest sounds, did you hear them?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just want to say, sometimes your blog is even better than Bird TV! I can get better views of them here than I often can through my window.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ratty, they are way too difficult for me to identify so I use your blog as a learning tool. I love the coloring on this one, he is adorable.

    ReplyDelete