Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Rare Black Squirrel

What is it about black squirrels that I like so much? They seem so mysterious to me. I only get to see short glimpses of them. I always call them the ghosts of the forest because they never come very close and they are gone almost before I realize they were even there.

It is a huge challenge for me to get any pictures of them, even though I do have some now. Most of the time the pictures come out as one bad blur, so I'm the only one who ever sees them. But there are rare occasions, such as this one, where one rare picture comes out okay. That's when I get to share these little dark wonder creatures with the world.

Since I do only have the one picture this time, I'll direct you to a few other posts of mine with more pictures of black squirrels. There's a ton of information about black squirrels combined in these posts.
  1. Black Squirrel
  2. Black Squirrel Chase
  3. More Black Squirrels

I can tell you for a fact that more people are interested in black squirrels than any other kind. I get several searches every day for black squirrels, not many for the others. My first black squirrel post actually has a page rank of 2 all by itself. These little guys are obviously a fascinating enigma to the people who have newly discovered their existence.

The squirrel in the picture above paused just long enough for me to get a few shots of him, which is longer than most do. Only this one picture came out good. I'm glad I got it. These dark little creatures are very hard for the camera to see in the varying light of the forest. Maybe one day a black squirrel will walk up and introduce himself to me, but until then I at least have a few rare pictures.

17 comments:

  1. That black squirrel sure is mysterious and even some of your reader said there is no such thing (oh, a squirrel run in front of my car today, luckily I didn't hit it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lucky you! i think all squirrels, regardless of colour are a real challenge to photographers. they move fast and furious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black is always mysterious. I did see black squirrels in Cerok Tokun, but failed to hunt any with my camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though around my area, black squirrels are in great numbers, but still I can't take any pictures of them yet..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Black squirrels used to be a rarity here too, but now they're literally EVERYWHERE. I think I have one nesting in the rafters of my garage in fact. Funny.... I was going to post about their rise in population a couple days ago, saved the post as a draft halfway through, as other things were on my mind.

    You may have just inspired me to finish writing said squirrel post tonight. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to see a black squirrel. We only have grey and red in the U.K. Greys are everywhere and reds just in remote areas. I once had a dream about white squirrels, but I don't think they exist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have no shortage of black squirrels around here... We've got a momma squirrel who lives in our yard and climbs up our garden wall/back of our house everyday to inform us it's time to put out peanuts. I think she may even be nesting in our attic... Great post. Most people don't appreciate the squirrels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Should have read all your comments... looks like my husband beat me to the punch re: the squirrel population in our ATTIC (not garage) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The black ones seem somehow so exotic. The next town south from us has only black ones- a little geographic genetic oddity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen a black squirrel, didn't know there was such a think, but then of course I've never really thought about it. I like nature, but I've never been very curious about our common squirrels, thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool, kinda' like my black cat when she wants to remain elusive & fast...but seriously, the only black squirrels I've ever seen were in Kent, Ohio and my uncle told me that black just was the color of squirrels there..don't know if that's true or not though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never seen a black squirrel but from what I have read they are only in certain areas of the country, one of those areas being where you are Ratty.

    Maybe they are the Ninja's of the squirrel world. I will have to ask around!

    SQ

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never seen a black one. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ratty, I've never seen black squirrels, his is pretty unique.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all for your comments about my latest post on these wondrous little black squirrels.

    John - White squirrels do indeed exist. They are in fact albino black squirrels.
    -

    WillOaks Studio - Kent, Ohio is famous for their black squirrels. They were introduced there by an official of the college there. They quickly took over, driving away all other squirrels.
    -

    Thanks again to everyone else. I will begin answering all comments again when I can organize myself better again. I'm still thinking of all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We don't have any black squirrels in the U.P. that I know of..thanks for the picture.

    ReplyDelete