Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Bird In Mid-Launch

I'm back again for another thrilling episode of The Everyday Adventurer! Today I'll tell you about a place I always watch very closely when I'm there. It's not one of the prettiest places I've ever seen, because even in the summer the trees are kind of barren. But there is something else that goes on here that's very exciting.

The trees here are always full of birds. When I hike through this section of nature trails, there seems to birds everywhere. Every few feet a bird will fly across my path. There is constant noise from their movement and their chirping. The anticipation of getting a picture of a bird here is always really high for me.

Unfortunately, the branches of the trees and bushes in this area are extremely thick and tangled. That makes it very hard to get any pictures of these birds, because even in the fall, when these branches are extra bare, this is a thick tangled mess. There is always a branch from something blocking your sight when you try to get a picture. So most of the time I leave here feeling disappointed.

Not this time! This time I got something remarkable. I was watching the birds fly by as usual, and trying unsuccessfully to get a picture, when I saw a lone robin perched on a branch in plain view (I said lone robin, not Lone Ranger!). I immediately started to take pictures of this bird.

I knew this was my lucky day, but I didn't know how lucky I was about to be. I've written before about my difficulty in getting pictures of birds. Larger birds like ducks and geese have been relatively easy, but a smaller one has been almost impossible for me. Now, that has changed.

As I was taking my pictures, the bird leapt into the air, and flew away. I got something great though. Just as it stretched out to take flight, I got one last shot. I actually got a picture of a bird in mid launch! This is one of the most exciting things to happen for me. A regular bird watcher doesn't usually do any better.

Now I have it here for anyone to see. I'm sure you'll all agree that this is a great accomplishment for any nature lover. I never expected to get anything like this. I really had an extraordinary day! I can't wait to see what comes next!

No comments:

Post a Comment