Monday, May 4, 2015

Why Do They Always Run?

I saw these goats as I was driving past this little farm, so I decided to stop and get a few pictures of them. As soon as I got near them they took off running as if I was some sort of terrible monster. Farm animals always seem to do this to me.

I wish I knew why they always run from me. Sure it could be that they run simply because I'm a stranger, but I always feel like that can't be all of it. Farm animals don't seem to run from other people like they do from me. Others get wonderful pictures of the animals coming up to them to be petted. I always get pictures of their backsides.

It doesn't seem like all animals run from me. Wild animals that should run frequently come right up to me. I used to be able to coax deer to come right up to me. I've even had a few of them motion for me to come closer. It's kind of weird when that happens.

Once I had six raccoons come running up and wrap themselves around my legs. At first I thought they were going to attack me, then I realized they just wanted to be friends. But then I couldn't get rid of them, so I ended up running for about a quarter of a mile over hills and valleys to get away from them. They were hot on my heels for most of the way, but I lost them when I ran through a creek.

Squirrels will routinely run right up to me and chatter at me angrily. They're the most feisty little critters I've ever seen. They seem to feel like every human in the forest has intruded on their land and they will give you a piece of their mind about it. In the end what they really give you is lots of good pictures.

But farm animals are the ones that run. Goats run more than most, but cows have run from me as well. Sheep react similarly to goats so I have plenty of pictures of the behinds of sheep too. I'd love to get that perfect picture of some of these animals, but they never want to cooperate.

So even though I live in farm country, I mostly avoid the farms for my pictures. I guess these running away pictures are still okay, but I'd rather have pictures of them running up to greet me. Wouldn't that be much more fun? Maybe I should take pictures of dogs, they like me. Or cats, there are plenty of those around here, some of them are even wild. Hmm, that's a thought. All sorts of new ideas. I'll talk to you later.

13 comments:

  1. you must have the look of a predator. Hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried to get a picture of goats but I have stopped to take pictures of cows. Some run some come up to the fence to greet me. I wonder if it has anything to do with how much and what kind of interaction they have with the humans who raise them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. obviously you are a wild animal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come over to the farm and you can pet all you want. Learn their call and it will attract them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so funny! Maybe the farm animals are afraid of mice. ;))). When I say funny I mean iit in the best way as a compliment. You always have a different take on things! I like that. Would have loved to see a picture of those raccoons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to the search box at the top of the page that Ratty has provided you can type in raccoon and you will be linked to a series of stories complete with pictures that Ratty told after it happened.

      Delete
  6. hmmm, maybe they thought you're preying on them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My human loves baby goats but they don't like her - she tries to hold them and they complain! Her boyfriend can cuddle them just fine, though. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute goats! They just didn't want to pose for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i find with farm animals it's either one way or the other. goats often charge the fence when i come to visit and the alpacas take off running!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you think it is the camera?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's kind of weird that the goats run from you as they are such inquisitive creatures and will usually just try and eat your clothes, maybe you need to be a more regular visitor to them Ratty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bring carrots. Then they won't run.

    ReplyDelete