Monday, March 9, 2015

An Attack On The Feeder

 It was an attack on the feeder! I went out and found the feeder on the floor of the porch one morning. I didn't know what did it. It had a chunk out of it from the fall but it was still in one piece so I put it back up there on the end of the railing. Then after I went back in, it happened!

As I sat there watching out the back door a bigger bird swooped down in a blur and attacked the feeder! It knocked the feeder back off the railing and onto the floor of the porch. The feeder was broken in two this time. The bird had succeeded in its intended destruction.

Just so I stay honest with you, the picture above is not that big mean bird. I didn't get lucky enough to get pictures of that one. This picture is just a cool picture I got of the Downy Woodpecker that still liked my feeder despite it being broken in half.

Here's that Woodpecker still trying to enjoy the feeder even though it's broken in half. The problem is that now the feeder doesn't sit too well on the railing in the shape it's in. It's going to fall off of there. I'm going to have to make a choice on what to do next. I don't have a spare bell feeder right now.

The easy choice is to go back to the store and get a couple more of these bell feeders. The problem with that is I have an aggressive bigger bird out there that attacked this feeder. What if it keeps doing that? I don't want to keep replacing these bell feeders constantly.

Maybe I should go ahead and get a better feeder. The only problem is that I don't have a place to hang it. I plan on putting up a pole to hang a feeder from when it's warmer and the ground is soft enough to plant one. But I can't do it yet. I'll have to think of something else. So tune in next bird time on the same bird channel to see what I figure out.

14 comments:

  1. Your feeder has turned out to be quite popular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you might need to invest in a shepherd's hook and a hanging feeder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what made that bird knock it off. Even broken there is plenty of good seed left on there so the birds will still show up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Running a bird cafe is not an easy job! Ru

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry my iPad is misbehaving. That top photo looks like a helicopter is attacking! In oregon , starlings knocked down our tube feeder and pulled all the perches out. My daughter and SIL gave up on feeders and just scatter seed on the ground in bad weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of a shepherd's hook to hold your feeder. They are great because you can move them around and you won't kill all the grass under it with the falling seed.

    Cool photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like the bird has killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The top picture is really interesting. I like how you captured the flurry of its wings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The top picture is really interesting. I like how you captured the flurry of its wings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, so cool to hear about those bird activities. I would love to have feeder too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi. I really enjoyed my brief visit on your site and I’ll be sure to be back for more.
    Can I contact your through your email?

    Please email me back.

    Thanks!
    Kevin
    kevincollins1012 gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm really surprised it hasn't ended up on the floor more often. You are getting the action!

    ReplyDelete