Friday, March 23, 2012

Let's Go Down The Hill

Now it's time for me to show you the second part of my trip at Stone park. I would have done this sooner, but I've been a bit distracted with all of the details of getting my things here from Michigan. It might be that way for another couple of weeks while I get everything organized.

Okay, you can see the trail on the left side of the picture above. That's my starting point. I follow that all the way down to the narrow part you may notice in the distance to the right. After that there is a drop off steep enough that they had to put steps in the side of the hill.

Isabella and I eagerly followed these stairs on down to the next level of our hike. I took this second picture halfway down the second set of stairs. It wasn't too bad getting down this far, but it was hard walking back up to this point. We were both exhausted.

And the third picture is what greeted us after some more distance down the side of this hill. We were now far from those long sets of stairs. You may notice that the bottom of the hill is still far out of sight. I told you before that these hills are the size of mountains. I was not exaggerating at all.
 
And we now finally come to the very bottom of the hills. We were greeted by a hidden surprise. There is a lake down here! We couldn't see it from any point until we got right about where I took this picture from. The lake is called Turtle Lake.

We were both excited to see this when we got down here and we were glad to finally be here. I was hoping we'd find something good, and we did. This was a much different hike than any of my little hikes from before. I'll try to be back with another post some time this weekend showing you some of the sights we saw at the lake.


Nature Center Magazine - Your starting place for nature!

13 comments:

  1. What a nice reward at the bottom of your trek, Ratty. It's a beautiful spot.

    Thirteen days left for me in India, then five days in Hong Kong. I'm sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely surprise to find a lake...it's always nice when your hard work is rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nifty surprise! To find a lake. Interestingly enough, I've named a lake in my imaginary county which contains Dead Mule Swamp, Turtle Lake.

    I'm sure you'll soon be bringing us ducks and geese again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely track which ends with a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful park. It reminds me of one we have here with a lake nestled in the hills. Hopefully when it warms up there will be some turtles in the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome hike! I bet you saw lots of things you haven't shown us... yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treat at the end of your hike! It will be beautiful when everything comes back green!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sure have a lot of new territory to explore Ratty. Looks both beautiful and exciting. You have many new adventures to come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have got a very nice spot there Ratty. Just be careful climbing up and down all those stairs and hills. Can't wait to see what you discover there. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great place for you to hike! It will be beautiful there when the trees leaf out!

    ReplyDelete