Monday, March 19, 2012

Atop Stone Park

Good news, everyone! My adventures to the nature parks have finally resumed! And now they may become better than ever before! The nature parks I'm now visiting are bigger and wilder than the ones I used to visit. Some of them are also on top of huge mountain-sized hills.

My pictures today are from high atop Stone park, the highest part of the entire park. You can see for miles from this spot. The buildings in the far background are actually in another state. I'll show more of them in the future.

I'll tell you, it's been so long that I've been to a good nature park that I was beginning to think I'd never get back to my old habits again. But I was actually able to visit two nature parks in the past two days. First Stone Park, and then Five Ridge Prairie State Preserve. The second one I only went to the front gate so far though.

I'm so relieved to be going back to a few nature trails though. I was beginning to think that I was so unlikely to be going to these places that it would be as likely for me to go to Greece or something. Now I'm so excited that I think maybe even that could be in the realm of possibility. If I wanted to do it I would try holidays to Greece or something. I can do anything I want.

You may not be able to tell in the pictures, but I am very high up on a very big hill. They are only considered hills here because they are made out of dirt instead of mountainous rocks. These hills are every bit the size of mountains. And I went down this one from the absolute top to the absolute bottom and back.

Those bushes you see in these pictures are actually tree tops. There is a steep drop off in some places, including immediately in front of this observation area I took these pictures from. This was an exciting hike because it has been so long, but it was also a tired one for the same reason.

Tomorrow I'll show you some of my journey down the hill. Isabella was also along, and this trek wore her out as well. We were both exhausted when it was over, and she eagerly got back into the car.

Oh yes, I almost forgot. We have a major new feature over at Nature Center Magazine. Go on over and take a look after you're done here. I guarantee that you'll like it. I'll talk to you next time.


Nature Center Magazine - Your starting place for nature!

22 comments:

  1. You have some beautiful views at your nature parks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have even more very soon. It's a very beautiful nature park.

      Delete
  2. It looks so vast and peaceful. I'm glad you get to go back to your adventure, but do take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have to get warmed up. Those hills are sometimes too much even for an uninjured person.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad you are back hiking and exploring again, Ratty! And now you have some new territory to explore. Looks like things are really coming together for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My new nature parks will be sometimes very different than the old ones, and they'll sometimes test my endurance well.

      Delete
  4. So nice to view the world from on top of a Loess Hill.I was on one yesterday for quite some time just amazed at all I could see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. It's so good to be up there looking out at the world.

      Delete
  5. Awesome views you have there Ratty! Enjoy all your new places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bring even more, and sometimes even better views in the future.

      Delete
  6. Hello! Thank You very sharing these beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. I love sharing them. And thank you for looking at them.

      Delete
  7. Nice to see you out in the nature parks again. That looks like a really nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love this park. It is good for just about anything.

      Delete
  8. That is a great view Ratty, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too. I'll show you what I've foiund so far very soon.

      Delete
  9. Wow, that is an amazing view! I'm glad you are back on the trails again! I'm expecting some good Bird and Squirrel TV from you this spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too. Some of the Bird TV birds from this park will be bigger than a cat though.

      Delete
  10. Such wonderful views Ratty...and I'm sure there is so much nature there for you to find too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there may be more nature at this park than I'll ever be able to keep up with. It's going to be fun.

      Delete
  11. Very different from what we've been used to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. Hiking these hills isn't going to be easy for me at first.

      Delete