Monday, December 12, 2011

Do Woodpeckers Hide?

I noticed something strange while I was taking these pictures of this downy woodpecker the other day. These woodpeckers are constantly around my house, so I've been trying to get a few good pictures of them, but this is the best I've done so far. Why?

It seems that right at the moment I line up a good shot of one of these woodpeckers, they choose that exact moment to move around to the other side of the tree that they're on. I've cursed my bad luck every single time, but then I began to wonder with this one if it has really been just bad luck. I'm beginning to think these woodpeckers know I'm there and they're hiding from me.

I've seen squirrels hide on the opposite side of trees before, but it hadn't occurred to me that a bird might be doing it too. Now I think I'll be watching these woodpeckers for this behavior. I guess sometimes we never realize that an animal so small and far away might be so very conscious of our existence while we're watching them.

Maybe the bird's need to escape any threat is so strong that even a human standing so very far away down on the ground seems to them to be a threat to their well being. I guess it's easier to hide on the other side of a branch than to take a chance at being discovered or captured, or they just don't want to be bothered at all.

I'm glad we as humans don't feel such threats. The only things we feel like escaping are maybe cold weather or our tedious jobs. When we feel this way we have the options of taking vacations. If you ever feel like escaping your day to day tedium, then a good option would be to try Mauritius holidays. A tropical haven cooled by the gentle breezes of the Indian Ocean might be the right escape for you. If you're a woodpecker then maybe you could just move to the other side of a tree. 

It's pretty easy to guess that this woodpecker form of defense is very effective. I only got these two obstructed photos of this woodpecker. I guess I'll have to keep trying and be a little bit quicker than them next time. Maybe my quest for better pictures will turn ridiculous like the old Woody Woodpecker cartoons. You'll find out in a future post.

12 comments:

  1. A tropical holiday would be a great welcome for me right now! I want to be like this woodpecker, and just hide until winter is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know the birds here do the same thing to me. I barely get the camera raised and they are moving out of sight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think maybe it is a defensive thing for a bird to keep on the move. Stay too long in one position and you are in danger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birds seem to do this all the time- move around the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your camera acts like a eye, and they never know who is a predator. I marvel when I get good shots, other than at a feeder.Put a few suet feeders out and really make friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those critters are getting smarter.

    We learn, they learn too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, what great shots. I've actually never seen a woodpecker before, I know, hard to believe. Guess he likes playing hide n seek with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Icy BC
    Me too. Winter is sometimes fun, but I wish I could make it go away whenever I wanted.
    -

    @Ann
    It would be much better if some of the birds would pose like some of the squirrels do.
    -

    @Don't unplug your hub
    I think you're right. It makes it hard to get their pictures.
    -

    @Sharkbytes
    They sure do. I wish they would stop it when I'm trying to get a picture though.
    -

    @Out on the prairie
    I've been thinking of maybe putting some feeders out this winter. It sure would make getting pictures easier, and it would help out the birds a little.
    -

    @Rainfield
    They sure are. I wish they wouldn't be so smart while I have a camera pointed at them though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Poetic Shutterbug
    I'll be showing many more woodpeckers because there are many of them around here. I hope you get to see one where you are too very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that woodpeckers and squirrels have the same protection mechanism that tells them to keep the tree trunk between them and anything that moves. So do grouse, very effectively. I hardly ever see one fly but what it keeps just on the other side of trees or shrubs. Very successful survival strategy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We cats are very good at evading that intrusive camera lens when we do not want to be photographed. I had no idea that any birds did the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @montucky
    That makes good sense. I remember when an aggressive deer came running toward me once. The first thing I thought of was to run behind a tree.
    -

    @Sparkle
    Birds do it because they're afraid, but you do it because you don't want to be bothered. Even so, you are too photogenic to keep the camera away from you.

    ReplyDelete