Monday, September 27, 2010

The Call Of Crows

I woke to the sound of a single crow today. I listened very closely. It made three sharp calls, "Caw caw caw!" Then it would pause and do it all over again. It repeated this more times than I remember. There were a couple of reasons I was listening so closely.

The first was that I woke to the same sounds yesterday. Or at least close to the same sounds. Yesterday's crow would repeat only two caws in sequence before repeating. Remembering the great intelligence of these birds, I wondered what the different numbers of calls meant. Was it some difference of a language they speak? Why were they so near my window making those calls?

The superstitious part of me imagined that it could be some kind of dark omen. Maybe it was bringing a foretelling of future doom. Was it meant for me, or for some other unfortunate soul? In my currently injured state of mind I knew I was thinking much too negatively. What else might those sounds from that crow mean?

Even though I tried to make the effort, my brain still doesn't want to let me imagine anything further. The only other thing I kept thinking was that those sounds didn't really bother me as much as my dark thoughts tried to make them. What really came to mind was that the call of the crow was a small link to nature for me. It was giving me comfort. Maybe the crow was just trying to tell me that nature is still out there waiting for me, and that one day soon I'll fly free once again.


Nature Center Magazine - Yup, I still push my other site whenever I can. Along with this one, it's my pride and joy. If you're curious, go and find out why I like it so much.

24 comments:

  1. It's just the call of nature to you, Ratty! The trail, and animals miss you..Hope you're getting better every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crows symbolize good fortune in many Native American cultures. The crow is telling you that this is a new dawn and to enjoy the rest of your life. He asks you to rejoin him in the natural world. He pleads for your acquaintance. All will be well.

    Bill:www.wildramblings.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite memories from my tween and teen years is waking up at Scout camp listening to the forest sounds and smelling the August mornings. There were always crows doing that three call thing. It's a call of peace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
    As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
    "'Tis some visiter," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door--
    Only this and nothing more."
    Get outside he said to me, healing as it can be,
    Don't sit when you can be at the window to see,
    That crow ever calling out for thee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do miss you Ratty. Even as we miss you. They even send out a welcoming committee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. may God's healing hands bring you back closer to nature ASAP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not like crow; they are black and sound ugly, yet everyone of us still lives so happily even though meeting this bird in the early morning.

    We break the black omen.

    Haha...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the way to look at it - positively. He's letting you know that nature is awaiting your return.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thinking it was just to let you know that all of nature is thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that it was definitely a positive thing! Still praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crows and ravens are highly intelligent birds so I have no doubt they have their own language. They play a big part in the legends of some cultures. I posted a story last year about the Raven Steals the Sun.

    "Quote the Raven nevermore!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe it's nature just saying "Hey, Ratty..". I think the world is saying that it is okay to rest. :) I hope you are doing just that and getting better and stronger with each day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness, Ratty, don't get back out there a minute before you're ready but, if those darn black crows are cawing for your presence, just think how your human two legged pals are missing you. I'm no Edgar Allen Poe but I guess I could write a verse or two for my wounded pal if it will make him feel better. We do miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I looked-up Crow in a very cool book called "Animal Speak" by Ted Andrews. Bill is correct...Crows are a very good omen. "They remind us to look for opportunities to create and manifest the magic of life."
    This is your path and you just proved it by writing this post.
    You are recovering!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That crow was just laughing at some cat that dared to think it could eat crow.

    Seriously, crows are good luck. It's the ravens you have to worry about. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are not much crows from where I am and when I see one I really feel scared. :D

    Happy blogging!

    - Noypi here

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ask not for whom the crow caws,
    It caws for thee.

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice blog

    visit me agait yah..

    http://wow-d.blogspot.com/

    thanks before

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd say it's a good omen as it was something you heard as you were waking. Waking up is always a good omen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do you think that the crow trying to send secret morse code to you?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad the crows are still spiking an interest for you Ratty...this is a good sign...and i don't think the crow was a bad omen...just a jolly reminder for you that they are ready and waiting for you to get back out there once you are recovered!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. you're living with crows, i don't think we have here in our place, i love to see a crows if giving a chance i heard that their sound was good.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is a popular belief here that when crows caw and for a while too, that's to say you're going to have lots of visitors. A very good omen. Though usually they depict crows as something sinister in movies and stories, but I guess it's all to do with the perceptions.

    I'm sure this guy just came to greet you, cause crows are highly social birdies.. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is exactly what the crow was saying...he was saying: "come out and play Ratty! We miss you!"

    ReplyDelete