Saturday, May 15, 2010

Mayapple

I don't usually write about plants, mostly because I just like animals so much. And the animals move around, so it's easier to write about what happened. But I do like to see flowers while I'm out there too. And there are certain plants that have become special to me. The one I'm featuring today is one of those. It's called Mayapple.

It actually took me quite some time before I found the name of this plant. I began to notice the plants growing in the middle of the dark forest last year. I watched as so many of them began to sprout up last spring. They look so distinctive that I soon became very interested in them.

But there was only one problem I had with that. I had no idea how to identify a plant back then. I was just beginning to learn a few flowers, which are the easiest plants to identify for me. It was finally after they were all gone that I accidentally stumbled across the name of these plants, so I decided to wait until this spring to write anything about them.

But wait. I've been saying they are just plants, and implying that they're not flowers. Well, I didn't think they were flowers until about a week ago. One day I noticed these buds on the underside of the big leaves of the plants. I took this picture for my records. Then the very next time I was out the buds had all erupted into the beautiful white flowers like you see at the top.

And I guess you may have noticed by now that I haven't exactly shown you the whole plant. That's going to happen right now. As you can see they have pretty big leaves right at the top of the skinny stalks that go straight up. They're a little over a foot tall. The stalks divide into two. And right at that division is where the flower grows from.

These plants clearly don't need a lot of light, and neither do the flowers. The flowers grow under these big leaves, and they droop down to point partially toward the ground. I had to get on my knees to take that first picture of the flower. I don't really like doing that. I like nature but I don't like getting my knees dirty.

Here's a top down view of the leaves of the plant. This is why the flower is not always noticeable. These leaves are about 10 inches/25 centimeters in diameter. Do you see the flower in this picture? Neither do I. I really never looked until this year.

Now you may be wondering what's up with the name of the plant. Why is it called Mayapple? For one thing, it is known to grow in the month of May. And that leads me to the next part of the name, the part with the apple in it. What apple would that be? I'm glad you asked. There is actually a small yellow fruit that grows from the flower a little bit later. That's where the name comes from. The fruit is edible, but the rest of the plant is toxic.

Here's a section of the forest where some of these plants grow. I find them all over the forest here. I also see a lot of them in the other forests that I visit. Some of them are so tall that you can easily see their flowers. But others hide their flowers very well.

I'm still not very good at identifying plants, but I can at least say that I'm learning very fast. It helps a lot when I have some of you who know about these things, and when the internet is such a rich source of information. All I had to do to identify these this time was to describe them the best I could in a Google search. I found them handily. It seems mayapple is a very well known plant.

I'll have to revisit the mayapple plant when the fruit grows on them. I'll share a bit more technical information when that time comes. But for now, I'll just share the attractive flowers above with you.

18 comments:

  1. Those are pretty. I can see how they would be easily overlooked though. Good reason to always slow down and check things out. You never know what you'll find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of my mushrooms in the jungle when I am looking at the Mayapple plants.

    So many of them sprout up, in the Spring and after heavy rains respectively.

    Wow, I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice find Ratty! Mayapples don't flower too long so you are lucky to have caught them in bloom. You certainly are expanding your horizons by learning new plants. The plants that flower generally use animals to help them with their reproductive process!

    Bill:www.wildramblings.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always amazed at the flowers that bloom at the forest floor. I like to look for cool new plants when we hike on vacation. Or I like to go on the trail, just me and my camera, and sit for a bit. It's wonderful what you find just being still.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so beautiful and what fantastic shots, Ratty. The most common are the most beautiful and thanks for the info on these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It can get downright frustrating at times when trying to identify the name so congratulations on your find. It pays to be persistent same as with finding bird and tree names.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super pictures and information on a native flower I would love to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very pretty flower..have you ever tried the fruit?? If not do you think you will this year and let us know what it tastes like??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope it isn't like Alice eating the mushroom, if you eat this you will become tall. Very bitter usually denotes an alkali. Haven't seen many nibbles by critters on them.As a kid I wondered if I might see a fairy under them.I kept looking for a nice juicy apple but it is a hard little ball.Will have to look for usage by humans more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of these Ratty! How interesting. I will have to look around the U.P.forests now to see if we get any here! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely Ratty! What a beautiful discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really funny- not the plant, but the timing. We saw lots of nice ones in NY, and I was going to talk about them too. Don't eat the apples before they are ripe or you will have quite a tummy ache. The trick is to find one that the animals left until it got ripe. I actually saw some in one of your squirrel pictures, and was going to ask you if you knew what it was. Obviously you do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never seen these before. Are they usually found up north, or do they just grow wild in many places? Either way, they are quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, the field of mayapples amidst the wooded forest is so beautiful, thanks for sharing them, I don't think I saw them here in CA

    ReplyDelete
  15. They're very pretty, both plants and flowers. And they're also known as the American Mandrake, and have both mystical and medicinal usages. My human, who studies herbs sometimes, knows a little about them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just lovely and thank you for the memory!! When I was a little girl, there were quite a lot of these on the farm and now I haven't seen any. I wonder what makes them vanish?? I think they are just really cool...very unusual compared to regular plants.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now I've learned new thing about this Mayapple. Great job Ratty!

    ...and, check out my post tomorrow, you are in for another game! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a beautiful flower, Ratty, and I just learn a new type of plant..Thanks for the info..

    ReplyDelete