Monday, May 17, 2010

Baltimore Oriole

The birds are back! After only a few days of bringing you some of my other discoveries, it's back to bringing you the birds. The one I have for you today is a Baltimore Oriole. This is the first oriole I've ever had any pictures of, and I've been seeing them everywhere ever since.

I kept thinking last year that the birds I was seeing in the trees didn't quite look like robins. As you can see, this oriole does bear a passing resemblance to an American robin. They both have red or orange colored breasts. The robins breast is a rusty colored red, while this oriole has a bright orange breast.

And that's what I was seeing in the trees last year. Those birds looked too brightly colored to be robins. But I just couldn't catch up to them with my old camera, no matter how much I tried. And I just knew that they must be orioles, but that still didn't help me get my pictures.

But now I finally was able to get the pictures I wanted so bad. Well, here he is, take a good look at him! (That last line is a joke from a very old and very hilarious cartoon called "Fair Today," A Walter Lantz cartoon from 1941.) Anyway... I, uh, got the pictures of the oriole, like I said before.

This particular oriole was nice enough to stay still for me for quite some time. The only real problem was that it decided to stay very high up in a tree, almost directly above me. I dared not move away for fear of losing the bird forever. I was just glad to be able to get the pictures I have here. They're pretty good, but more angles would be helpful.

Here's another one with the camera zoomed back just a little bit. I noticed that orioles are also a little bit smaller than robins. It's just enough to be noticeable. And their habits seem to be quite a bit different. Robins are much more sociable and unafraid of humans than these birds.

I've been seeing a lot of orioles this year, but they move way too fast for me to get any pictures right now. Mostly what I've been seeing has been flashes of that bright orange streaking past from one tree to another, while I stood there trying to get pictures that I never do get.

But thanks to this unusually confident bird, I was able to get one last group of pictures. This is the best of them. It gives us a little bit better angle to look at, but he's still slightly hidden. That's okay though. I know I'll get more chances.

The last thing I want to say about these orioles right now is that these are some of the most beautiful birds I've seen so far. That bright orange together with the black is just amazing to see. I hope you all get the chance to see a bird like this for yourselves.

Nature Center Magazine - I mentioned above about a very good cartoon from 1941 by Walter Lantz, called "Fair Today". It's about a tour through a county fair, an old tradition that shows the best of livestock and agriculture once a year. The subject is mildly based upon nature, and the cartoon is great. So that's why this cartoon is this week's Cool Nature Video. You're going to love this one!

16 comments:

  1. They sure do stand out with that bright orange. I love the variety of birds you've been seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Ratty, I would have said robin but with your patient instruction, I can see the difference. On my block the other day, I posted some pictures of a robin, Poetic Shutterbug and I saw on Friday. He was quite willing to stick around for photography. This oriole is a beautiful bird. You are have so much success with all these bird photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Oriole photos! Especially the one from the side. Orioles are magnificent, certainly one of our prettiest song birds. Thanks.

    Bill:www.wildramblings.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos. I love the bright colors on these birds. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Ratty. This has to be one of the most beautiful birds I have ever seen- and such great photos of it! They have golden orioles where i have my place in France but i've never actually seen one- despite a lot of looking and waiting and listening! Well done on this one :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so lucky to have these birds nest in your area. Every year during migration I put out orange halves and grape jelly in hope one will stop for a refueling. They missed me again this spring. It is refreshing to see your photos of them in a natural setting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I concur that you are very lucky to have so many orioles in your vicinity. The Baltimore (Northern) oriole is Maryland's state bird, yet in over 30 years I have seen only two orioles! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful those birds are!! Great shots of them Ratty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Put food out to attract them, but when they come don't runout. I keep a few feeders going for the backup.They like grape jelly, oranges and necter. Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Orioles visit my neighbourhood very frequently, but I have yet to take their photos.

    One bird at a time, they told me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They may be fast but you are able to capture them so well. He is such a bright and cheery color. These are fantastic shots, Ratty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Their bright orange chest are so striking! Another great Oriole shot Ratty.

    Don't forget to join my game! I insist! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. The orioles are SO cool. They move through my yard each spring but don't stay to nest. They nest in the area, and I've got a nest pic, but they don't stay right here, although the habitat seems as if it would be to their liking. Not sure what is missing. They are SO awesome. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. living in the UK I doubt I will ever get to see a bird like this unless it was in some sort of zoo/sanctuary so I am so glad you showed me one in it's natural habitat...it really is a stunning creature!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yet another bird I would never get to see outside my own window! Thanks for sharing him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous picture of the Baltimore oriole! I love the color of this bird~

    ReplyDelete