Sunday, December 13, 2009

Black Squirrel Chase


This might be a scene that many of you have seen before. Two or more squirrels chasing each other all over the place. But have you ever seen black squirrels doing it? I have trouble getting a good closeup picture of a black squirrel, but two black squirrels chasing each other seems to be no problem these days.

While my normal fox squirrels are still out there in the forest, their activity may be slowing down just a tiny bit. The black squirrels, on the other hand, seem to be more active as the weather gets colder. I'm not sure why it is, but these black squirrels have come out of the trees in great numbers now, and they're all super powered.


The way I see them constantly chasing each other I think maybe it might be their mating season or something. I watched as these two chased each other around this tree at least a half a dozen times before they ran off into the forest. They were so busy with each other that they forgot to use their ninja cloaking devices to stop me from photographing them.

The only real blur I got was because they were just moving so fast. These little ninjas never seem to stop! I have to admit I've seen black squirrels doing this before, but never around here. Their major activity is usually in another place where I never take my camera. I only usually see a few of these squirrels in this forest, but now it's full of them.


This is the last I saw of either of these two before they vanished into the forest. The only reason I saw this much was because I really wasn't very close. Even my proximity doesn't always stop them though. Always before they would see me and run away, even at this distance. I wonder if it's the weather that has changed this.

Do you think maybe the cold weather could be the reason their fur is black? All the stories I've read say that black squirrels originated in or around Canada, which is obviously north of my country. I have never seen another reasonable explanation for their fur color. I'm sure somebody has one, but for now I don't know what it is.

I'm going to leave it at that today. Maybe you think my speculation sounds good, or maybe you have ideas of your own. I'll be doing some more research to see if I can find out this mystery once and for all. See ya!

15 comments:

  1. Squirrels always crack me up zipping around the tree trucks in tandem (those little boogers sure are FAST :o) I'm really enjoying your photos; they are so much fun to look through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same to the monkeys as you have done to the squirrels. I spent time to observe them this morning.

    And accidently I blocked the way of a monkey in order to join its friend. Although I have moved away, it dare not to go ahead until bringing its "senior" along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exactly what I thought when seeing them chasing each other, mating season! It's fun to watch them though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Gray squirrels are always active at this time of the year. They mate in the cold weather. Wonder if it's to keep warm..Ha! Ha! But they also mate in the summer. I thought I got rid of some of those squirrels but apparently they were just waiting till the foxes were gone. Now I counted at least eleven of them this morning. But that's better than the 20 I had in early summer. They are fun to watch as they chase each other. I have seen some fall out of the trees because they were chasing a little too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe black is the latest color for this winter :)
    Wish I can see them chasing around in video!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's your assignment- I love how they chase each other in a helix around a big tree trunk. You have to get us a video of that! You need a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We podcasted about gray squirrel chases! Check out Wild Ideas...the Podcast episode 11 for June 9, 2009. The squirrel part starts just over 3 minutes in. We go on to talk about play in animals.

    Black squirrels are actually gray squirrels. (Just try explaining that to a 2nd grader!) I believe they are native to Ontario and parts of the upper midwest, including parts of Michigan. But people seem to like the black color and transplant them to other areas—one of the most notable is at Kent State, here in Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those pics, I love squirrls some say they are nothing but tree rates, but I love them !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely very fast paced in deed! Good motion displayed in the images

    ReplyDelete
  10. Black squirrels were originally very common before the europeans arrived in North America. Their dark color gave them an advantage in the deep, dark virgin forests. As the forests were cut down they lost their advantage and became a minority in the gray squirrel world.

    Just thought I'd share this little fact.

    bill:www.wildramblings.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's nice to see the black squirrel action photos. In our area it's not possible to see the squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these black squirrels...since your blog is the only place I've ever seen them. Your are like a Dr. Doolittle, you know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are fun to watch as they chase each other. I haven't seen the black ones but our fox squirrels are always chasing each other. It is really incredible when they start running on the cable wires over the backyard, I'm amazed they don't fall off more often than they do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are either chasing one another away from their own territory or mating....either way it is the same, right??? ha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all for your comments here. I'm still trying to catch up with everything. It seems when I get one day behind, it comes out like three for me. Then it becomes almost impossible to get caught up. I make sure I read all of your comments, and right now I'm in the process of visiting all of your blogs, if you have one. Even if I forget to leave you a comment, I just want you to know that I was there.

    ReplyDelete