Monday, November 9, 2009

Eastern Boxelder Bug


Well would you look what I found! This bug is what you call an Eastern Boxelder Bug (Boisea trivittata). I found this little minor pest lurking near the outside of my house. I originally thought it was a milkweed bug, but after a bit of research Ifound out its correct identity.

This boxelder bug and milkweed bugs look amazingly similar. Even the nymphs(babies) look like each other. The only visible difference I found was that the adults' red markings have a slightly different pattern. The other difference is that this bug is routinely found near houses, but milkweed bugs are, as you might have guessed, found near milkweed plants.

I mention all of this because my past experience was with the milkweed bugs. I found some of the nymphs on a milkweed plant last year. I remembered some of the research I did, and the way the adults looked. The thing that tipped me off that this bug was different was the red stripe right behind its head.


These boxelder bugs are considered only minor pests because the damage they do doesn't cause any significant financial damage. They are often found on boxelder or maple trees. They feed on the juices of the leaves and flowers of these trees. There is an even more ominous aspect to these bugs though.

They gather in the thousands, and when the weather gets cold they like to find warm places. What kind of warm places? The inside of any houses they can get in. Just think of finding these in your cupboards climbing all over everything. If that doesn't bother you then take a closer look at the bugs red eyes. Now think of it staring right at you from the top of your refrigerator.


These boxelder bugs are typically found in the fall. That's when they gather in large numbers looking for a nice warm place to stay through the winter. Remember that next time you open a box of cereal. Okay, I guess that's enough of me trying to make you sick. Just remember this next time someone you know finds one of these on the side of their house. Tell them all about it.

One other odd thing about these bugs. They are supposedly also known as democrat bugs or politician bugs, I have no idea why. These insects can be killed with a simple mixture of soap and water. I wonder if that would get rid of a politician as well.

Okay, I got nothing else. See ya.

18 comments:

  1. Thanks Ratty for identifying this bug. I have them around my house as well, and also their pictures :-)
    (Ok, we have got to stop follow each other and take the same pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have lots of these little bugs too. they are usually plastered on the outside of the house. as long as they stay outside, i don't have a problem with them, but once they enter my space, they must be eliminated.

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm interesting post about this critter. A crazy nickname politician bugs (why just the Democrats I wonder?). Puts a new twist on what I has always assumed was spy technology employed by the FBI. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way to kill the bugs, same to the politicians.

    It seems to be so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish you had mentioned it earlier, Ratty. Here on the farm, we have tons of box elder trees...so these little bugs have been around forever! They are harmless, really...and I found the "milkweed" bug much more recently so my "exploration" was just the reverse of yours in identifying those! For some mysterious reason, box elder bugs are MIA this year and I wonder if it's due, somehow, to the record breaking rains and cold we had in Sept and Oct??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ratty, I do NOT like bugs and you make them so up close and personal. I guess that's okay as long as they are on my computer and not invading my personal space on a crawl-on-me level. I think I will go and take a shower now. I feel my skin crawling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They don't bother me much. They are big enough to easily see, and we've never had a problem with them eating through foods. I have had other pests that do that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're well acquainted with this fellow. I'm amazed at how many manage to find their way into our house. However, as Sharkbytes observes, they are large and easy to see and deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely picture of the bug...I enjoyed the nature lesson too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I've mentioned before, I grew up in Nebraska. Box elder bugs would sometimes cover the sides of houses. I think they liked the material the houses were covered with. When we were quite young there was a boy who would scoop the bugs off the sides of the houses. He ate them by the hand-full. How's that for yucky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok Ratty! Now you can mail me money to reimburse me for all that rubbermaid I had to buy to put my cereals in so I don't have to think about THAT!
    YIKES!!!
    I like closeup of bugs, but I don't like to think of them getting into my house.
    Now I feel itchy.
    Thanks,
    thanks alot.!!
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would so welcome these bugs instead of the FLIES that have attacked under the eaves of the house. THey too seek warmer micro climates. But they sneak into the house and cause havoc!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always noticed these on my brick house when the air gets colder. I think they just like the warmth of the sun on the bricks. I have very rarely found them in the house and NEVER in my food--I think you are panicking the readership here, Ratty. Give the bugs a break and don't encourage folks going around soaping them up to kill them. Bugs are your friends, Ratty. Even boxelder bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Ratty, such a creepy little crawler though a colorful one. I went to the zoo the other day and visited the insect zoo while there. There were cockroaches, tarantulas etc... I took many pics and when I got home and uploaded the photos, they were so creep and disgusting I didn't have the heart to put them on my blog :D You would have liked them too but I just couldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am usually pretty easy going when it comes to bugs but this creature is not my friend. I rarely see them in the house but they (the females) will cover my patio and front door for about a week each fall. I don't like Boxelder bugs! Ours are of course the Western version but still a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow.. Ratty..
    I have this insect photo too and about to publish it in the next few days! I guess we are all related with an invisible string here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. very informative post. Thanks for sharing this. Learned something about bugs today! :D

    ReplyDelete