Friday, September 11, 2009

Evening Chipmunks

Your wish is my command! I was up very late trying to decide what to write about for today while at the same time reading the comments here on the blog. I saw one more comment on The Cutest Poll Results requesting more chipmunks, so I'm happy to say that I'm going to deliver on that late night request. See how late I sometimes write these?

Anyway, I haven't really seen any chipmunks for quite some time. I had been going back to the park where I saw them so many times before, but I just didn't catch even a small sign that they were still there. I didn't know what happened. Then by sheer coincidence I decided to go back late in the evening!

When I got there I found where the chipmunks had gone! Well, maybe not where, but when. They were out in force on this late evening. I was encountering them everywhere while they were scurrying all over their usual territory. The only problem was that they didn't seem quite as curious as they always did before.

Make no mistake, they were indeed still curious little critters; but along with their curiosity was a little bit of anger that I had invaded their territory. There were several of these little guys that actually turned and screamed at me as they ran past! This seemed more like squirrel behavior than chipmunk.

Now I guess you might be wondering, since I said I saw so many chipmunks, why I have only these two photos to show you. That's an easy answer. They were moving so fast that I could only get a few shots of them, and only these two were not too blurry to keep from causing headaches all over the web.

It may be a little short, but that's my story of my latest chipmunk encounter. This is what happens when you end up writing your posts in the middle of the night. I have other news for you too. I'm hoping in one of these next few weeks I'll be bringing back my fiction Friday posts. Maybe not every week, but hopefully the ideas I have will turn into a few good stories.

I'll be back later to read your comments and catch up with your blogs. I hope I haven't missed anything good. I'm trying not to run too late again. I still owe something to someone with a herd of zombie chickens!

16 comments:

  1. My kind of Chipmunks, the evening variety the little party critters. I have no clue about their habits so it's always nice to read your blog and find out what you know about all these little critters and I always enjoy seeing your photos, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chipmunk encounter and the photos are interesting.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ratty! I needed that. :D

    Now I need to find some of my own chipmunks with more regularity. They seem to be avoiding me for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You find chipmunks moving very fast on your screen in the middle of the night. Oh!! Quite scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chipmunks are so cute! Now if you put this in a pole, like with the squirrel one, I would hug it, if I can..

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute little creatures, why they gotta be screaming at you?! hehehe...you're just trying to make them into stars!

    have a great day my friend...hugz!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can never capture the chipmunks either! But they are so darned cute--especially when they have their little pouches full!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such cute little guys. They can be very forward in campgrounds, stealing food right out of your bowl. As naughty as they are I really think they are adorable. I know, I'm just a sucker for little furry things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My chipmunks are very busy gathering food for their dens now and they get angry with each other, afraid the other one might get all the food. They seem to be fighting a lot. I guess it's just that time of year Ratty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All I think about this picture is Alvin and the Chipmunks. So cute

    ReplyDelete
  11. you always manage to take interesting pictures of them, am sure they know you already :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love chipmunks Ratty. I also loved your black squirrel but was racing against storms and didn't dare stop to leave a comment!!

    I love all of your pictures and thank you so much for stopping by to see my flowers today!!
    Happy weekend,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  13. First squirrels, then chipmunks, what's next? Monkeys?

    peace,

    mike
    livelife365

    ReplyDelete
  14. great pics..and I managed to spot that chipmunks A LOT sooner than I spotted the black squirrel...lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chipmunks are so cute but I never see any of them here. Great photos Ratty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your comments about the chipmunks are all greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    Jude - Thanks. I'm learning about them through first hand experience. Sometimes I get things wrong, but much of it is correct.
    -

    Arasu - Thanks for reading. I'm glad you like it.
    -

    Julia - It was my pleasure. And you gave me my idea of what to write for the day. I needed it.
    -

    Rainfield - It does sometimes get scary when these little chipmunks spy on me and then let out a blood curdling scream out of the silence.
    -

    Icy BC - Yours is the very first poll suggestion, so I might just do a poll on chipmunks.
    -

    PJ - These chipmunks make a very loud sound for such small creatures.
    -

    Lin - I haven't gotten one with full cheeks yet. That's my ultimate goal. Then I can tease my sister with it. We used to call her chestnut cheeks when she was very little.
    -

    Sharkbytes - I think that daring naughtiness is what makes chipmunks so cute.
    -

    Ginnymo - You have the best chipmunk photos ever. I think you're right, it's hurry up time of year for them, so their tempers are short.
    -

    Dr. Lauren - I thought of Alvin and the Chipmunks the first time I ever saw them too. I have a whole post about from a year ago. :)
    -

    Betchai - They may know me, but I'm not sure they like me very much all the time. :)
    -

    Jackie - Your flowers are great. It took me awhile to appreciate flowers. I'm glad I do now.
    -

    Mike Foster - I wish I had pictures of monkeys. I have some very close encounters with deer though. My buddy Rainfield, who I have a link to in my sidebar, has plenty of monkey pictures.
    -

    allotments4you.com - Those black squirrels are very difficult to see. The chipmunks come right out for the camera. :)
    -

    SquirrelQueen - Since you never see any there, I'll share mine with you. :)

    ReplyDelete