Saturday, October 25, 2008

Live Every Day To The Fullest, And Never Look Back

I found this on one of my hiking trips. It's just some graffiti that somebody wrote on one of the railings of a wooden fence. The fence is there to keep people from falling down a steep slope, while looking at the forest from a resting place in the nature park.

When I looked at this graffiti, I thought it summed up what I've been trying to communicate here on this blog. Then I thought, they shouldn't have written all over the fence. Oh well, what's done is done. I still like what it says. It's a great goal for all of us to shoot for.

But be honest. Is there anyone at all that lives every day to the fullest? I have to admit, I don't. But wait, you say. You're supposed to be The Everyday Adventurer, and you don't live every day to the fullest?

Well, no. I'm not sure that it's possible. Sometimes everyone says to themselves, not right now. Shocking, isn't it? Sometimes you just want to sit around and do nothing. My mom always told me something like that, but I always tried to argue about it. After thinking about it, I thought maybe it's sometimes a good thing to take a little time to be lazy. I don't know if that's exactly what she meant, but it's the way I think it.

I need to say though, even though you can't live every day to the fullest, I think it's something to shoot for. If you try your best, maybe that's good enough. Maybe that's really what it means. The fullest you can do every day. Not a jam packed day, just an overall enjoyable one. Maybe a little rest is part of that.

I'm still not convinced. Sometimes my day doesn't feel very full, and I don't really even try. If I look back, I end up with a guilty feeling, as if I cheated myself out of something. How can I live every day to the fullest with an attitude like that? I don't know, but maybe I can still try. That's what's really important. Do your best, even if it's not good enough today. Some days it will be good enough, and then you can erase all fear and doubt.

In the end, I realize if you think of the slogan on the fence as an encouragement, and not a command, then you will understand it better. There are a lot of good sayings like that one, and their meaning and intent are frequently misinterpreted. When you get them right, then you're on the correct path. What do you think?


Related Posts

4 comments:

  1. What is meant by sitting around doing nothing is that everyone needs some time to stop and regroup. Clear the thoughts from your head and put in some new ones. Then you are READY to experience life to it's fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous said...

    "What is meant by sitting around doing nothing is that everyone needs some time to stop and regroup. Clear the thoughts from your head and put in some new ones. Then you are READY to experience life to it's fullest."


    But when you stop and regroup, maybe you're not living full. Then again, maybe that's part of the fullness of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's an interesting graffiti.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you think so, Musaio. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete